Global Mapper v25.0

Add support for Autodesk/CAD DWF files

Hunter Geophysics
Hunter Geophysics Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited May 2014 in Suggestion Box
Hi Mike,

If it is not too much hassle, I'd appreciate your adding support for DWF files into Global Mapper.

I have just started doing work with the local telecom company down here, and they send out their plans in DWF format. I'd prefer not to have to spend $4,000 for a copy of AutoCAD just to view their plans. :)

I tried to attach a sample DWF file to this post, but the forum just said 'Invalid file' and wouldn't let me attach it...

Anyway, thanks in advance!
David

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2013
    David,

Can you try zipping up the .dwf file and attach that? The DWF might just load using the existing DWG format support. It is very odd they would use DWF and not DWG or DXF.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Hunter Geophysics
    Hunter Geophysics Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2013
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I tried opening the DWF as a DWG (Open > All files > (select DWG from the pop-up menu asking for the format) ), but that didn't work.

I also tried renaming it to .DWG, but that also didn't work.

I have zipped up the original DWF file and have attached it. Thanks in advance.
    David

30472282.dwf.zip
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2013
    David,

Darn I was hoping it just might magically work if treated as DWG, but I guess they are different. I have added this to our todo list as I think there is a way to support these with the library we have. In the meantime you might see if they can provide DWG or DXF as they are much more commonly used and supported.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Hunter Geophysics
    edited September 2013
    Brilliant; thanks for being willing to have a go at supporting that format for me. I really appreciate it.

Sadly, the company are one of those big ones with no faces and no way of contacting them (data was obtained by going through a form on a website and the data is sent via an automated email). Bit of a pain and makes it impossible to get their plans in different formats.

Thanks again!
    David
  • Hunter Geophysics
    edited May 2014
    Hi Mike,

Just wondering if support for these files has been added to GM yet, by any chance?

(I'd test it myself, but I don't currently have the latest version of GM)

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Hunter Geophysics
    edited May 2014
    Correction to last: I have the latest version after all, and tested it but without success.
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2014
    David,

We haven't done any work on adding DWF support. If there was some interest from other users we might make it a higher priority, but I think right now it's just you :)

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • Hi Mike,

Any progress on DWF support. This seems to be the preferred format for AutoCAD now, particularly for mesh surfaces. There is also a newer version of DWG 2018 which GM doesn't import either. Apparently, the 2018 AuoCAD Civil 3D will only produce surfaces in this newer format.

Thanks
    Paul Andrews
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello Paul,

As of version 19.1, Global Mapper can import and export DWG 2018 files. DWF support has not been added yet. I have added your information to the feature request, and we will post a message here if the status changes.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Thanks Bob,

I tried to open the 2018 file and while it does open in v19.1 it does not extract/display the surface contained in this file. I've uploaded two files to Dropbox here, one is the 2018 file (as named) the other is a 2013 file called Extracted. You will see that the 2013 file has the tin and contours that should be displayed when opening the 2018 file.

Regards
    Paul Andrews
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hi Paul,

It appears that the missing objects in the 2018 file are specific to AutoCAD Civil 3D, and are not supported in Global Mapper. How was the 'extracted' file created?  That one contains generic lines, etc. that Global Mapper can read.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Hi Bob,
    The extracted file was imported into the 2018 AutoCAD Civil 3D and re-exported as a lower version. So the source is the same, just the format is different. That's why I forwarded this on as it will be an ongoing issue if GM is not able to import 2018 files.
    Regards
    Paul