Global Mapper v25.0

error when loading big shapefile

TobWen
TobWen Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited January 2010 in Bug Report
Hi there,

I just wanted to load a shapefile (120 MB) with a big dBase-database (3 GB).
I'm getting this error:
Error loading SHapefile data.
MemoryMappedFile.cpp - 295
Build Time: APr 30 2008 10:25:22

I'm running Windows XP SP2 on Intel 3.0 GHz P4. 2 GB of RAM and much GB of free HDD-space.

Best regards,
Tobias

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2008
    Tobias,

Is it possible for you to zip up the DBF and SHP file causing the problem and FTP them to ftp.globalmapper.com so that I can take a look? You need to use a username of 'upload' and a password of 'upload' to gain write access.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • TobWen
    TobWen Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited May 2008
    done ... demo.rar (data from OSM Netherlands)
  • czietz
    czietz Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited May 2008
    Tobias: You can load OSM data directly into GlobalMapper 9.03 by the way. Maybe you don't need the shapefile.

Mike: I suspect from the error message that GM tries to memory map the DBF. This will fail, since there is simply not enough address space available to a 32 bit application to map a 3GB file into memory.
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2008
    I was able to find the source of the problem and fix it. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper9.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v9.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • cmccoy
    cmccoy Global Mapper User
    edited January 2010
    I am having a similar issue in v. 10 with a 650 MB shapefile. Its actually an SID file but loads as a shapefile. The file loads to 23% every time, then seizes up and the program becomes unresponsive. However, I can load the same file in my v.11 trial and it works no problem. Thanks in advance.
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2010
    I'm not sure I understand. A SID file is an imagery file and a Shapefile is for storing vector data. A .sid image should never load as a Shapefile.

Is there a DBF file with your SHP file and if so how large is it? Can you try getting the latest build of v10 to see if that has your bug fix that is in v11? I have placed the latest build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • cmccoy
    cmccoy Global Mapper User
    edited January 2010
    Ah, I see how that makes no sense. I was describing the wrong file. The file that was not functioning is a .shp file though. However, I installed the latest build as you suggested and it finally works. I had updated it before with no success at fixing the problem but it worked this time. Thanks for the help.