Global Mapper v25.0

Importing date/time attribute from GPX file

RatherBeInSierras
RatherBeInSierras Global Mapper User
edited May 2008 in GPS Features
Hi,

I have track data from a Garmin GPS (GPX) that I want to edit in GM. Specifically, the positions of some of the track points are wrong as I was deep in a canyon. I want to move the points to the proper location and then ultimately georeference my photos with the edited tracklog.

When I import the tracklog, GM properly imports the time/date. However, as soon as I use the digitizer tool to move a track point, the time/date stamp is dropped from every track point. If I manually enter a new location value for a track point, then the time/date stamp is preserved. To be feasible, however, I need to be able to drag and drop multiple points at a time onto a map overlay. Dragging and dropping seems to result in loss of the time/date stamp, and without that information I can't georeference my photos.

Is there a solution?

Thanks!

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2008
    I'll look into this and issue a patch once I find the problem.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2008
    Ok, I think I have this fixed. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper9.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v9.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • RatherBeInSierras
    edited May 2008
    Hi Mike,

Thanks. It is sort-of fixed. I can now drag and drop trackpoints with preservation of the date/time attribute. This can be successfully saved and imported into my georeference software.

If, however, I delete a track point, then the date/time attribute is dropped from all trackpoints. Thus, moving a point is fine, but deleting still results in loss of every date/time value.

I really appreciate your level of support-- it's fantastic.
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2008
    I have updated the vertex deletion to also delete the corresponding time stamp value and not the entire time stamp list. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper9.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v9.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • RatherBeInSierras
    edited May 2008
    Hi Mike,

If I select the track with the Feature Info Tool and click on the Vertices button, I can highlight a vertex in the box and delete it. This preserves the time/date stamp. If, however, I use the Digitizer Tool to select a vertex, this still results in loss of the time/date stamp from all track points.

Thanks,

John
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2008
    John,

I guess I should have tested better. I've got it working for sure this time. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper9.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v9.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • RatherBeInSierras
    edited May 2008
    Hi Mike,

Perfect! Thanks a lot-- everything seems to work great.

John