Global Mapper v25.0

License Issue

Iceman
Iceman Global Mapper User
edited April 2013 in Technical Support
Hello Mike:

I had a GEM ver. 14 license for my old primary pc. I removed GEM from my old primary pc because I replaced it with a new primary pc. I emailed the removal code to Rayna Winters at Blue Marble support. I also have a copy of GEM ver. 14 on my laptop as allowed for in the license agreement. I tried to get a license for my new primary pc but Rayna says I am allowed only 1 license & it is currently on my laptop. I cannot get a response from Rayna or Danielle Caron, my account manager, to get this issue resolved. Is there somebody at Blue Marble you can contact for me?
-Thank you.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2013
    Can you shoot an email to gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com so I can look up your order? In v14.1 the license removal process is completely automated so you don't have to wait for someone to manually remove the license so you can move it, so things should be much easier in the near future.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • Iceman
    edited January 2013
    I just shot you an email.
    I am actually trying to license ver. 14.1, not ver. 14.0.
    The automation process though appears not to be working.
    -Thank you for your help.
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2013
    Did you get your new license via email? When you tried the automatic removal in v14.1 did it give you a message or have you try to send an email? You should only get the email prompt if the automatic removal fails for some reason.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • Iceman
    edited January 2013
    Yes, I got the new license via email & the registration process worked great.
    The automatic removal process also worked great.
    I got the email prompt even though it was succesful - please see attached .pdf.
    The problem appears to be with the automatic registration for a 2nd license.
    It would not give me a 2nd license for my laptop when I had a license for my old primary pc.
    The 2nd license was emailed to me.
    Similarly, it would not give me a 2nd license for my new primary pc when I had a license for my laptop.
    You emailed me the 2nd license.
    I think this problem will be eliminated when a USB key is available.
    Thank you for your help.
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2013
    Actually if you got that message it means that automatic removal didn't work, that is the old message that shows along with the email. You see something different if the automatic one works. The automatic one might not be live yet on our server since v14.1 isn't released yet.

The USB dongles will definitely help this somewhat.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • Sean Bampton
    Sean Bampton Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2013
    I'm a little late to the party on this, but are USB dongles being considered for GM licensing?? As a mobile user, I would love to be able to transport my licence with me to use on different machines which aren't networked (ie: a work computer and my laptop at home). Still essentially a single user licence.

We have these at work for other products and they are fantastic! Please put this near the top of your to-do list :)
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2013
    Yes actually our v14.1 release just added support for USB dongles! Contact gmorders@bluemarblegeo.com for information about getting a dongle license.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • ChuckB
    ChuckB Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2013
    I think it would be good to clarify that for someone wanting to use GM on, to quote Sean above, "a work computer and my laptop at home" it is not necessary to acquire a dongle and the accompanying license. To quote the "Application Software License Agreement" that was emailed to me by gmorders@bluemarblegeo.com yesterday, "The primary user of a computer for which a machine license has been purchased may make and use one copy of the Software on his or her portable computer". For me using a dongle for this purpose is an unattractive solution since the price quoted to me yesteday of a dongle license is $698.

I came to this thread because I had found info on this forum regarding the new machine locked licensing. I was (and am) considering upgrading to version 14 and wanted to know if I could use it on both my desktop and laptop. A dongle sounded like a potentially satisfactory way to go. Per Mike's suggestion in this thread I emailed gmorders. I included in that email the question "If I don't get a dongle what is the process of transferring my license from one machine (like a desktop) to another (like a laptop) and back?". It seems to that would have been a good opportunity to be informed that for the purpose of using it on a laptop and desktop I do not need a dongle. Instead I was informed that the number of "Release/Move function" operations is limited to two.

I fully support Blue Marble taking action to prevent rampant piracy and understand that to accomplish that could result in some inconvenience to fully legal and ethical users. I also feel Blue Marble could be more proactive in communicating how licensing works. At the very least the "Application Software License Agreement" should be accessible from the purchase page of the web site in the same way that the "Refund Policy Statement" is.

And as always, Mike, thank you for an excellent product and unsurpassed support.

Chuck
  • Sean Bampton
    Sean Bampton Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2013
    "The primary user of a computer for which a machine license has been purchased may make and use one copy of the Software on his or her portable computer"

So that doesn't actually mean we can use a copy at work AND use a copy at home? It would be nice to be able to do that, but I guess that's why the dongles were conceived. My work machine cannot be connected to the Internet, but my home laptop certainly can. I don't know how the licensing would work in that case. So confused.
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2013
    Technically so long as you are the only user of the license any 2nd computer can be activated, it doesn't have to be portable. No way to tell the difference. Beyond those 2 you would need a dongle or an additional license.

Machines don't have to be on the internet to be activated, but you would have to get a key for your machine ID from us on a disconnected machine. Or have a dongle, which doesn't require sending us any information.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • RobertR
    RobertR GlobalMapper Fan! Trusted User
    edited April 2013
    Hello Mike,

I want to take GMScripting at home so I can work there as well.
    Can you please tell me, if and how can I install GM 14.1 on my laptop as well if I already have the license installed on my PC at work? I can certify that I will use it on my personal laptop and it will always be opened either at home, or at work, never in the same time on both.

I read the forum and I saw this is possible so I would appreciate an advice.
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2013
    Robert,

If you have only activated on your work PC so far, just install v14 at home from http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper-download.php and activate with your order number. It should get a new license file for your home machine.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • my Global Mapper version v14.2.0  I need license key 
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello,

Please contact Blue Marble Support directly via email (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com) to resolve licensing issues.

Cheers,
    Bob