Global Mapper v25.0

Rectified map not visible

Patchicat
Patchicat Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited December 2012 in Technical Support
I am having problems georectifying a map for a project. I have three Tobin maps from a particular county in Texas which need to align. I have managed to align the first two maps and have overlaid the producing and HBP acreage. I now need to add a third map to align with the west side of the northern quad so that the layout will be:
Caldwell Quad/Tunis Quad
Lyons Quad

When I first opened the saved workspace this morning, I had to correct the projection so that I could find the map as it was nowhere to be found; it was out of range for some reason, even though yesterday evening it was perfect. After I corrected that, I proceeded to attempt my georectification.

The Tunis Quad and the Lyons Quad are aligned. I have been having great difficulty aligning the Caldwell Quad. The first three attempts resulted in an error message "Unknown error calculating image rectification parameters."

After three failed attempts to georectify the Caldwell Quad with the same error message, I closed GM and reopened it and attempted my georectification again. This time, it rectified. However, the layer is nowhere to be seen on the map. It does not matter how many of the other layers I remove from the screen, it is not visible. This is not the first time I have georectified a map and it not appear when finished.

I am using Global Mapper V14.0 (b091212) in Windows 8 Professional.

Please, what am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

Comments

• Patchicat
    Patchicat Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2012
    Well, I don't know if this is the normal solution, but I have solved the problem of the rectified map not being visible for now. I closed that overlay, which wasn't visible to begin with and reopened it. Now, it is visible, and it lines up perfectly.

If there is a better method, please let me know.

Thanks.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2012
    I would first suggest downloading and installing v14.0.3 from the links below, although I doubt that is the source of the issue. I would have to see your rectification parameters to see the error, I'm guessing they are all on a line or something so no parameters could be calculated.

32-bit: http://www.globalmapper.com/downloads/global_mapper14_setup.exe
    64-bit: http://www.globalmapper.com/downloads/global_mapper14_setup_64bit.exe

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • Patchicat
    edited December 2012
    Thank you for your reply. I have downloaded and installed the 64-bit update. But that does not appear to have solved the problems I am having.

I have another map I am working on and when I open it, I cannot find it at all. The only solution to finding it is to change the projection to UTM and Zone 15. Then, I can find the dot and zoom in on it. The original map was a pdf file. If I load the landsat7 imagery behind it, there is no imagery, even though I originally rectified the pdf to the landsat imagery.

There is another pdf file I have loaded and am working on. This one, when I loaded it this evening, I had to delete all the work I had done previously because it not only had shifted but it also was no longer the original size so that I could not shift the areas to the proper location.

I really like this program, but what am I doing wrong to have so many problems with it?

Thanks.
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2012
    Are you being prompted for a projection when loading the data? It is critical that the proper projection is assigned for the layer so that it can be positioned properly relative to other loaded data files. If the wrong one is assigned the coordinates may not make sense and the data may then only be displayable in the same projection assigned to the layer, but the lat/lon would still be incorrect. You can see the lat/lon for the cursor in the status bar. If you load a file by itself the default projection should be the projection that you assign to the file and you can then easily observe the lat/lon and see if it's in the correct location.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • Patchicat
    edited December 2012
    Thank you for your reply.

No, I am not being prompted for a projection when loading the data.

The file with the skewed layers, I neglected to save when I exited the program; so when I opened it again, all the data I had thought I had deleted still was there. I have been able to rectify most of it, but some of it I have had to reenter.

I recognize that this is a learning process, but it does get frustrating when I have to do something several times before it works.

These two maps I am working on have no coordinates. They are plats of a failed subdivision in which we own most of the existing lots. I do not, at this time, have access to the appraisal district shape files, so I am having to assign the projection manually. I know I must not be doing it properly, because I have to keep redoing it, even though I save the file.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2012
    Are you getting any prompts at all when loading the data, such as to rectify or fake the position to load? If you are getting that prompt then that means that no coordinate information at all is available and not just no projection information, so you would have to rectify to get it properly positioned.

If you aren't getting any prompt at all, can you provide one of the files so that I can take a look?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru