Global Mapper v25.0

exporting to kml/kmz with pt labels

chunter
chunter Global Mapper User
edited April 2008 in Vector Data
I would liket to know how to export my shape files to kml/kmz files that allow for label recognition of a field of my choosing. Right now when displayed in google earth each point is displayed as [unknown]. can this be done during export? or other way in global mapper?
thank you

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2008
    You can select what attribute to use as a display label prior to export by opening the Control Center, selecting your Shapefile layer, press Options, then setting up the label attribute to use.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • jmpreiks
    jmpreiks Global Mapper User
    edited April 2008
    Is there any way that you can export the centroids or centerpoints of area/line features? This would make it much easier to get labels to show up in Google Earth. Right now I am exporting a dxf with separate attribute points and then exporting those again to get just the points with labels. There must be a more efficient method than this.

Justin
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2008
    Justin,

As this seems to come up a lot, I think that I will add an option to the KML/KMZ export to automatically create a label placemark at the default label location for line and area features. I will point you at a new build once this has been added.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2008
    Justin,

I have completed adding a new option to the KML/KMZ export to add display labels for line and area features. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper9.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v9.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • jmpreiks
    jmpreiks Global Mapper User
    edited April 2008
    Thanks!

I will give it a try shortly.

Justin