Global Mapper v25.0

how can i convert (.map or .dxf) to (.wsg) ( windsim) format

khaledbed
khaledbed Global Mapper User
edited March 2015 in Elevation Data
i usually use windsim as my windfarm software and all my maps are WAsP maps (.map or .dxf) and i need to convert them to (.wsg). so i ask how can i did this using global mapper 13.
thanks

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2012
    I'm not familiar with the .wsg format, is that like a 'WindSim Grid' or someting like that?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • passive3
    passive3 Global Mapper User
    edited September 2012
    When I convert to GWS format and use it after that in WindSim software, it can't use when operate in Wind Fields mode.
  • khaledbed
    khaledbed Global Mapper User
    edited September 2012
    excuse me the WindSim format is .gws (as a grid windsim). i ask how can i convert .dxf or .map maps to this format using Global Mapper.
    thanks
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2012
    Ah ok that makes more sense. The GWS format has both elevation and roughness grids in it. You can create a grid of roughness values from your .map value by going to the Options dialog for the layer and selecting a roughness attribute for the "elevation", then right-clicking on the layer and selecting to create an elevation grid from the data. That will really be a roughness grid.

Assuming you already have terrain loaded from somewhere else you can then export a WindSim GWS file using File->Export Elevation data. You can choose which layers to use for the elevation and roughness grids when exporting.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • rodri
    rodri Global Mapper User
    edited March 2015
    Hello,
    I have a similar problem. I need to convert files from *.map to *.gws and I use the option: convert terrain model in WindSim but the conversion failed. The map in WindSim is not the same as in Wasp and the Xmin,Xmax,Ymin,Ymax values aren't correct. Do you know why does it happends or where can I find another programme which can convert from *.map to *.gws?
    Thanks