Global Mapper v25.0

Easy manipulation of vertices

vax
vax Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2012 in Technical Support
Hello,

is there a way to manipulate easily a line/polygon's vertices? Imagine that I have some 50-100 vertices on a single line that have to be moved around. Using the current tools I have to Alt-click each vertex first to select it, then to move it dragging with the mouse.

It will be convenient to have a dedicated vertex-edit tool with several modes that will allow to manipulate vertices with a single click-and-drag operation, e.g. move mode, delete mode, insert mode. The GPSMapEdit program has such abilities so I am forced to use it when editing vertices no matter I don't like GPSMapEdit at all :-)

Another issue - the vertex move/delete operation does not have an undo which is often needed ...

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2009
    You can drag a box around the vertices you want to edit to select multiple vertices at once, then easily move them or do whatever else you need to do.

If you need to insert multiple vertices, if you hold down the 'I' key when left clicking you will stay in 'insert vertex' mode, allowing you to easily insert multiple vertices.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • vax
    vax Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for the hint.

Group selection allows me to move all vertices at once. I want to be able to move each one individually, without first selecting it with alt+click. Just click on the vertex and drag it in any direction.
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2009
    It sounds like you may know the Alt+Click trick, but if you Alt+Click on the vertex to move you can then immediately move it without having to go through a menu or toolbar button.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • vax
    vax Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2009
    That's ok - I can move the selected vertex many times. But I have to alt+click each next vertex I want to move.

Imagine that I have to modify a line that consist of 150 vertices. Then I have to make 150 alt+clicks in addition to the move action. This is a whole lot of unnecessary workload as the vertex move can be done much simpler - with just left-clicking the desired vertex and drag it to the new location.
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2009
    I will add a special vertex edit mode to the todo list, although if you are editing that many vertices it might be easier to just draw the new line rather than editing the existing one.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kbellis
    kbellis Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2010
    Hi Mike,

FWIW...

What vax envisions for GM is similar (or so it sounds to me) to the behavior in AutoCAD when the user selects a multi-segmented polyline. "GRIP POINTS" - little boxes at each vertex become visible and the user is then permitted to edit vertex locations quite freely with just a left click and drag. The (separate) PEDIT command also allows the editing of the vertex, but I find the GRIP POINT method much quicker.

A further enhancement - as long as we're dreaming - would be to incorporate a similar behavior of the PEN TOOL in Photoshop where the user can fine tune vertex placement through the use of the keyboard's arrow keys (NUDGE).

Kelly
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2010
    Kelly,

Those may be good future enhancements. I will add them to the todo list.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • maggs
    maggs Global Mapper User
    edited October 2010
    i second the motion for single click and drag mode for node vertexes. The keyboard nudge will also be very useful for moving vertexes to fine tune their position.
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2012
    There is some help for this in the initial v14 beta. Right now I'm working on a custom keyboard shortcut creator so you can assign some Digitizer Tool commands to keyboard shortcuts. In addition with the new Favorites option you could set the Move Vertices command to your current favorite, then use Ctrl+Enter to do that after each select of a vertex to enter move mode, then drag it where you want.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com