Global Mapper v25.0

Feature Creation

tdalton
tdalton Global Mapper User
edited August 2012 in Technical Support
Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to create a new area feature utilizing vertices from 2 distinct polygons. In my project I have two seperate polygons already digitized, one is the water in a river, and the other is the forest behind the river. I am trying to create a new area feature that represents the shoreline between the two. My current method of using the "Create Area" feature always results in minute slivers being created along the borders. Is there a way to simply select the area already enclosed by my river and forest polygons? If that doesn't work, how would you recommend reducing the amount of slivers while creating polygons that share edges? I currently use the search feature command to find all the slivers and delete them when I have finished a section but it is rather tedious as there are often slivers between every pair of vertices. I do not think GM has a way to utilize topology rules but any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you,

Terence

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2012
    Terence,

Could you possibly select the multiple areas and combine them with the Digitizer Tool? If you tend to have small slivers of no overlap between them you could draw a patch area that covers the edge so they will combine.

We are planning on adding some tools for snapping nearby vertices to each other in a future release to make it easier to close up seams and ensure topological consistency.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • tdalton
    tdalton Global Mapper User
    edited August 2012
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply. I think some tools to snap nearby vertices would be a tremendous asset for GM users. I spend almost all of my time digitizing, so an expanded suite of area feature creation/editing tools would be most welcome. A trace feature for polygon creation that snaps to vertices would totally eliminate my problem with slivers, I believe. Then I could just trace out the shoreline area between the river polygon and the forest polygon without any overlap.

Thanks again.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2012
    It's in our system as task 10788. It's currently targeted for the v14.1 release later this year.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com