Global Mapper v25.0

Problem with GM & Mircosurvey

Neil
Neil Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited April 2012 in Bug Report
Hey

I have been having problems with a few computers running GM V13 & MicroSurvey 2010. When GM is open the co-ordinate data base kept by Microsuvey is lost/inaccessible. When GM is closed, MicroSurvey runs properly some of the time; but problem seems to even linger when GM is uninstalled.

Has anyone come across this problem before? Any suggestions on how to have both programs installed on the same computer, if not running at the same time? Failing that, is there something else i need to do to totally get rid of GM on these machines.

Thanks
Neil

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2012
    Neil,

That is odd, GM shouldn't do anything with a MicroSurvey installation. Have you asked MicroSurvey support about why their co-ordinate database is going away? I presume GM is running fine?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • Neil
    Neil Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2012
    Just got everyone up and running with the network licences. Was working with a group that had MicroSurvey installed on their computers. MicroSurvey was working fine for more than a year with our current setup, problem only came up when GM was installed.
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2012
    Does Microsurvey also use FlexLM for network licensing? It's very hard to say what might be causing the issue since the issue is not in GM, I'm not sure what type of external dependencies that MicroSurvey has. GM shouldn't mess with anything in shared locations though, everything is local to its install folder except for any standard Microsoft libraries. If MicroSurvey can shed light on what is actually going on that would help to determine where the problem lies.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • Neil
    Neil Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2012
    No, the Microsurvey does not use FlexLM, it is licenced using a USB dongle. The reason i think the problem has to do with GM is that it only appears when GM is installed on the computer. I had on offhand coment about this problem being more likely to appear after GM had been run for the first time on a day. I will submit a service ticket in the Microsurvey help system, and quote this thread; but if they just pass the buck back to GM, do you have any other ways i may be able to isolate the issue/problem.
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2012
    Without knowing the cause of the problem there really isn't any way that I could help find the problem as I have no insight into how MicroSurvey works. Since the only shared stuff that GM uses is standard shared Microsoft libraries, my only thought might be that MicroSurvey can't run with some new version of some standard system library, but really if it is written properly it should only use the version it is linked against anyway and not care if new stuff is also installed.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru