Global Mapper v25.0

Version Notes

Roger Edrinn
Roger Edrinn Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited March 2012 in Suggestion Box
Mike,

I'm hoping this already exists and I just haven't found it yet.

I'd like to be able to have a text file attached to a workspace or catalog file where I can remind myself of steps needed, start-up notes, other random thoughts. Basically my project(s) are too complex for me to remember what's needed next. Especially if I put down a sub-part for a few days.

Thanks
Roger

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2007
    Roger,

There is not any functionality like that, but you can always just create your own text file on disk in the same folder as your map catalog or workspace file so that you can read it if you forget what steps to follow.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2009
    I'm resurrecting this from the dead with changes.

I'd like to see a free form text box pop-up option with any file open command. At the bottom would be a check box, "Do Not Show This Again" for the multitude who would rather not.

The user could enter a text comment, say 500 characters max, to the box for whatever purpose.

This would be a nice v11 add.

Please.
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2009
    I'm not sure that something during File Open would be ideal as you might be surprised how many people this would confuse. Plus when you add a "Do Not Show This Again" button you need to have someway to eventually show it again if the user actually ends up needing it.

What might be more acceptable is a right-click menu option in the Control Center to associate some text with a layer. That could then be saved to workspaces and displayed with the metadata for the file. Or you could maybe associate an HTML file with a layer and have that displayed.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited April 2009
    The fact that you are considering this is huge. I'm open to all ideas.

Because I'll not touch GM for 3-mo stretches, I need a way to write a note to remind me of all the pieces and how they fit together. I would be perfectly happy to have GM open notepad. For a workspace notepad would be preferred, it'll run while GM loads. I have some 15-min loads. The only "must" is that GM would auto open a linked notepad file if I had chosen that option.

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2009
    Would it work to just assign a file (text or HTML or whatever) to a loaded file and have that be displayed automatically when a workspace that knows of that association is loaded? I think that could be added without too much difficulty.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited April 2009
    I believe we've said the same thing, you just went a bit further with HTML. It would seem if you evoked a Wordpad file vs. a Notepad file you could include HTML links for more functionality, a plus.

By restricting this to workspace files it would be a bit less than I'd hoped for, I'd like the option for any GM file type. However, given the nature of the workspace file, I can see the advantage for your coding. If nothing else, a very good beginning.

Thanks for considering this. :)
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2009
    I have completed adding the new feature for associating a text document or HTML file with a file. Just right click on the file in the Control Center and select the option to assign a file to display on load, then save the workspace. The next time you open the workspace that file will be displayed.

I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited May 2009
    Cool,

Thanks Mike
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited March 2010
    Works well, particularly with a large workspace. It opens on top of the loading workspace so I can edit the text while loading.

Nicely implemented. :)
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited March 2012
    Mike,

Is there a way to edit the file name and/or location? The continues to be a super tool for me.

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2012
    You can just right-click on the layer again and set the file to show to the new location. If you have a bunch to do and have moved this you can do a search-and-replace in the workspace file where the file location should be listed as a text parameter.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited March 2012
    Overwriting the file worked.

Thanks