Global Mapper v25.0

Refresh Catalog Map List

Jake
Jake Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited December 2011 in Suggestion Box
I searched and was not able to find a way to do this so I assume it is a valid suggestion. On the Modify Map Catalog dialog box add a REFRESH and or RELIST option. The folder where I store my maps is constantly changing as new maps are added. Given the large number of maps it is not easy to manually find and add the new maps. The refresh would scan the folder for changes and add any new items. Currently I remove all files and start from scratch. If the user had manually added maps (say in a different location) these would remain.

It could also be configured so that RELIST and REFRESH and separate functions. I.E. RELIST simple re-populates the Map List based on the path/filter and REFRESH actually creates the updated catalog file.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2011
    If you just add the directory again from the map catalog dialog any existing maps will be skipped and just new ones added.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Jake
    Jake Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited October 2011
    You know as I was typing that I suspected that might be what happens. Thanks. Perhaps a note in the help file is all that is needed.
  • Jake
    edited October 2011
    I just noticed that removing the files from the actual folder does not remove them from the Map List. That is when you "add folder" a second time to refresh the contents. The outline remains as well but the content is not shown of course. I have saved and closed the workspace. Upon reopening the old outlines remain.
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    I added a new button to the map catalog dialog to remove missing files, so you can easily get rid of those now. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v13.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v13 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Jake
    edited October 2011
    Once again thanks for the incredible support.
  • Saorsa
    Saorsa Global Mapper User
    edited November 2011
    On a related topic; it sure would be nice to be able to click on a location and get a list of all the map files and their scales that are available in my maps directory at that spot. I.e. like the way OZI_Explorer does it. Thanks in advance; this forum is very helpful.
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2011
    What you could do is right click on your layer(s) in the Control Center and select to create bounding box areas from the layer bounds. Then you can simply use the Feature Info Tool and click at a location to select the map bounding box at that location and see what is there. Use right-click to cycle through multiple maps at the same location.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • Saorsa
    Saorsa Global Mapper User
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Mike. That helps but usually I only need to see the smallest, largest of even some intermediate scale chart or just to know what they are. I have created a catalog of all the BSBs in the region that all 'stack up' at the location I'm studying but more often than not the one I want is buried under other BSBs and it's a pain to get to it. In practice I have OZI_Explorer running simultaneously and I use it to find out what charts are available at the location I'm studying and then return to GM and load the chart I want. I'll spend some more time with your previous suggestion though.
  • darrepac
    darrepac Global Mapper User

I agree that beside "remove missing files", having "update file list" would be a real plus. Yes, we can add again the directory and it will skip the files already present. But I am playing with thousands of thousands of files, and just browsing to the right directory takes so long long time...

• bmg_mike
    bmg_mike Global Mapper Guru Moderator, Trusted User

Would 'Update File List' just remove all files that no longer exist on disk, or also search for any new files that weren't there before?

• Jake

Hi Mike glad to see here. I am a little late replying. Hopefully you are still taking suggestions.

Yes a REFRESH or UPDATE to the file list would be a great addition. I ended up using a python script to refresh the GMCs from time to time.