Global Mapper v25.0

Existing contours -> create/ export in new, reduced intervall

Hendrik
Hendrik Global Mapper User
edited August 2011 in Elevation Data
Hello.

I got a very detailled bunch of height contours from a client (resulotion 1 m).
But unfortunately the programm in which i want to perform further calculations can't handle this ammount of data.

So i'm trying to export only a specified intervall (e.g. like in "generate contours" every 10m or even every 17,7 m). But i'm not able to select any intervall at the "export" function or select any specified contours by "Search" -> "Select by Attribute" (So that i can export the Selection).

And if i'm doing a workaround by "creating 3D grid" first and then "creating elevatin contours" of this terrain model, the good quality of the contours got lost unfortunately...

Is there any other way?

Thanks in advantage,
Hendrik

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2011
    Hendrick,

You could filter the contours using the Search->Search by Attributes menu command to find all of the ones that you want and edit them, then move them to their own layer. Then just hide the original layer with the other contours prior to export and you'll just have the ones that you selected.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Hendrik
    edited August 2011
    Hello Mike,
    Thanks again for your very fast reply!

I also had the idea of filtering the specified height contours in the "search by attributes" dialog.
    But unfortunately it doesn't work the way i want.

If i search by "*30" -> I'll only get 1030 // 1130 // 1230 and so on....(yes, seems to be logical).
    But not 1030 // 1060 // 1090 // 1120....

Do you know a way or expression to count the multiples of any desired number?

Or is there a way do insert many "Compare values" in the search term field? I could also create the list of the multiples with e.g. Excel...

Thanks in advantage,
    Hendrik
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2011
    Hendrik,

While you can't currently search on multiple values at a time, you could do a search on something like '???0' to find all 4-digit numbers ending in 0 which should get you multiples of 10 from 1000 to 9990. You could repeat other searches and continue to move the results to a different layer or type if you can't get it all in one search.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Hendrik
    edited August 2011
    Hey Mike,
    thanks a lot.
    I will try this in the dredcribed way.

Kind regards,
    Hendrik.

p.s.: I like the Georeferencing Tool more and more. It's really fast, accourate and simple to use.
    much better than Wintopo for example.