Global Mapper v25.0

trying to download imagery and data from the internet

mhguda
mhguda Global Mapper User
edited August 2011 in Downloading Imagery
Hello,
I'm a registered user for GM12, but now am trying GM13. I am trying to download data and imagery from the internet - the freely available data. For any server I try from within GM, I get a message that a connection with the server cannot be established, even though I've given firewall permission. I even tried turning the firewall off temporarily. That's not the problem.
I worked with this feature in GM12 and never had any problems - what is happening in the new version?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2011
    Does GM12 work on the same machine? Which source(s) are you trying to use? I know the server with the SRTM, ASTER GDEM, and Landsat imagery was down this weekend, so those sources wouldn't work in anything. Other sources should work fine though.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mhguda
    edited August 2011
    Right. I went to try GM12 on the same machine and found the same error message - but those are exactly the servers I'm trying to access. I did download data files from an ASTERDEM server in my browser though - you have to go through an elaborate process but you can get data. I haven't tried LANDSAT independently, but from within Global mapper I don't get anything. So that is because the servers are down? Do you know when they will be up again?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2011
    Those data sources all come from a single NASA/JPL server in their WMS form. I think it just went down this weekend, so hopefully Monday morning it will be back up and running.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mhguda
    edited August 2011
    And I found a street map does work.