Global Mapper v25.0

Export KMZ files based on SHP file border?

Recce
Recce Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2011 in Raster Data
Hi,

I have a catalog file with GEOTiff maps and a area Shape file.

I need to create KMZ files based on the SHP file.

Is this possible?

:confused:

Thanks!

/Thomas

Comments

• Recce
    Recce Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2011
    The digitizer tool was the key :D
  • Recce
    edited August 2011
    hmm...

I can't get the result I need.

GM seems to load all the tif files from the catalog into the RAM resulting in a out of memory error.

When I select a smaller area I receive only a single file.

I tried to tick mark only the "Use selected area features for grid" but also combined with the "Crop to selected area features" under export boundaries.

When trying to uploade the files to your FTP server I a told the password is wrong (upload)?

I need help on this on anyway!

Thomas
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2011
    Thomas,

How many TIFF files do you have and how is your catalog setup for display? When exporting from a catalog unless the files were all already displayed the files should unload when not needed.

If you need to upload the files use a username of 'upload@globalmapper.com' and a password of 'upload' (note the username has changed from what it used to be).

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Recce
    edited August 2011
    I have 42 tif files and use the standard catalog settings for display (10%).

I am unable to upload to your ftp:

530 Login authentication failed

When using "upload" as pass.

• global_mapper
    edited August 2011
    What are you using for the username when trying to login to the FTP site? You should use 'upload@globalmapper.com'. I just tried and this worked fine for me.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Recce
    edited August 2011
    Sorry I misunderstood it.

Files uploaded

:)
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2011
    Are you going to upload the TIFF files that the map catalog refers to as well?

To do this operation you should just select all of the areas from your Shapefile with the Digitizer Tool, then when exporting select the option to grid to the selected areas on the Gridding tab of the export dialog. You don't need to also select to crop to the selected areas, the gridding will handle that.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Recce
    edited August 2011
    Files on the way (2 small tif).

I did just that you described.

To be clear on what I try to accomplish here is what I try to do:

- Cut the map from the catalog file into the grid the SHP file
    - Name the KMZ files the name of the area name from the SHP file
    - Only export the maps covered by the SHP file.

I use GM V12.02 (b051211).

Thank you.

/Thomas
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2011
    Thomas,

It sounds like you are doing things right. I just tried with your data but the SHP file that you uploaded was corrupt. Perhaps you uploaded in ASCII text mode rather than binary mode?

In any case, can you first try getting the latest post v12.02 build to see if that helps as there have been a lot of bug fixes. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Recce
    edited August 2011
    I uploaded the SHP files again using binary mode and updated GM.

Nothing has changed.

I am experiencing extreme export time. Even when only selecting a few boxes for export.

I am yet to see GM output more then one file an renaming it to the box name.

I have made my own grid using GM and repeated the export resulting in the same as before (a single large file, extreme export time, memory error).

• global_mapper
    edited August 2011
    Ah I am seeing some interesting behavior with KML raster exports. For those the Gridding tab options apply to how the images are gridded up inside the generated KMZ file (or referenced by the KML). You don't actually get a separate KMZ for each grid item, just a single KMZ with the images gridded up as specified.

What you can do instead is do the gridded export to some image format (like GeoTIFF), then batch convert from those GeoTIFF files to KML/KMZ. Then you will get a separate KMZ file for each of the originally cropped GeoTIFF files.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Recce
    edited August 2011
    It works, Thanks!