Global Mapper v25.0

Add TIFF overview option

dmr
dmr Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2011 in Suggestion Box
It would be very helpful to include an Overviews (i.e mip-maps) option when Exporting GeoTIFFs and/or doing a batch convert of GeoTIFFs.
If it is already a function, I apologize for not finding it. I am using GM11.02 right now.
I frequently feed my TIFF files into VPB (osgdem) and having overviews would speed those steps and not consume all my memory. For reference, the overviews would be akin to the gdaladdo command in GDAL if you are familiar with that.
I have seen other posts that make reference to the need for overviews ("huge file performance / pyramids"), but I couldn't figure if it is in your list of features to be added to GM or not.

--dmr

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2011
    That is on our todo list. You can currently already get overview layers when exporting to Erdas Imagine .img files and they are automatically generated for ECW and JPEG2000 exports.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • dmr
    dmr Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2011
    Understood. TIFF is definitely our preferred format for the amount of other different tools we feed our imagery into. Like to have 1 image, many purposes. So I will be excited to see that added in.
    --dmr

PS - Is the TODO list viewable? Or is that an internal thing for you?
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2011
    The todo list is an internal thing, with much of it living on my whiteboard, so not something that we can easily provide.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • dmr
    dmr Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2011
    Is it something you would ballpark an ETA? Whether I'd be waiting for version 12.x? 13.x? 19.x?
    --dmr
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2011
    There won't be any more v12.x releases, the first v13 beta is hopefully going to be out this week. I would guess v13.x would be a good guess.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Digging up an old thread. As of v21 I still don't believe there is an option to create overviews when exporting a geotiff. This is something I'd like to see added.
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited February 2021
    Hello,

The ability to save an overview image in a GeoTIFF export has been added to Global Mapper 22.1, which is currently in beta. The functionality is enabled by "Write GeoTIFF Overviews (Pyramid)" checkbox in the GeoTIFF Export Options dialog.

Better late than never, I guess.  ;)

Cheers,
    Bob

Edit: Correct export option name.
  • Thanks Bob that's great to hear.