Global Mapper v25.0

separate layers in GeoPDF files from USGS

liz1110
liz1110 Global Mapper User
edited July 2011 in Suggestion Box
The USGS has started producing 24k topo quads in GeoPDF format. I suppose this is the replacement for the traditional paper quad maps that they are no longer updating. When I open one of the quad maps in Acrobat all the data from the map is neatly organized in layers, i.e. contours, hydrography, roads, background image. Upon opening the same file in Global Mapper v11 the layers are lost and it is just an image. I would dearly love to be able to use the USGS contours, hydro and road layers superimposed on a shaded relief background in a project I am working on. Is this possible? I have Global Mapper v12 (64 bit) but I apparently cannot open PDF files with that version so I have had to revert to v11 just to open the files. If this feature is not available, is there any chance it might be included in a subsequent update of Global Mapper?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2011
    Currently the PDF library that we use doesn't allow us to separate layers, you can only get all layers rendered at once.

You can use the 32-bit version of v12 and have PDF support. You can install and use that on the same machine as your 64-bit install with the same key. You can download and install the last v12 release from the link below:

32-bit: http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_setup.exe

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • liz1110
    liz1110 Global Mapper User
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for the quick response, Mike! Do you think we might see that feature in a future release of Global Mapper? It would be really useful.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2011
    If the PDF library that we use gets updated to support separating out the layer then we can add that support to Global Mapper as well.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com