Global Mapper v25.0

Georeferencing 8000 scanned images - how should I approach this?

hughestj
hughestj Global Mapper User
Is automation possible for this?

I feel I have a large task on my hands, HELP please!

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2011
    You could automate it if you know the pixel locations of known coordinates in those images in some automated way. If they are scanned images I'm guessing this is not the case though, so barring some very advanced image processing you would have to manually georeference each image so that you can pick control points. This is something you might farm out to some cheap-labor GIS server provider to do.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • hughestj
    hughestj Global Mapper User
    edited July 2011
    Mike,

Thanks for your speedy response. The images are very good aerial photography and are in strips (runs).

I have very good vector data for the area in question, could I use some kind of image processing software that will match the image and vector data and Georeference? Is this sopftware available, has anyone ever done this before?

Thanks again

Tim
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2011
    Tim,

I'm not aware of any software that is able to do that in an automated manner, even with known vector data available as well. I think you will have to manually georeference each image against the vector data so that a human can pick out common control points.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • cschende
    cschende Global Mapper User
    edited October 2011
    Option 1) Check the photos...
    Some data might be embedded in digital photos. Copyright, geo locations, etc...

Option 2) Call the contractor...
    Contact the aerial company that took the photos. They may have/had GPS coords for the photo centers for each image stored with the project. With the images and the location you can do the math to produce a worldfile, or they might be able to do the job for a fee.

Option 3) Google Earth... Lat Lon...
    This method provides a way to quickly place the images relative to one another for additional processing against the vector data. Aerial photo are usually taken a regular intervals. PhotoID a photo center in the first and last image of a run. Do the math. Divide by the number of photos in a run to get centers for the images.

Worldfiles have 3 components pixel size, rotation, upper left coords. You can do the math. Some programming and knowledge of the programs is helpful. I use Excel for string and file manipulations

You this helps.
    -Chris
  • Adam Inglis
    Adam Inglis Global Mapper User
    edited October 2011
    You might want to see about getting a trial version of PCI Orthoengine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTvIbUhnwIs&feature=player_embedded#!