Global Mapper v25.0

PDF export : bug ?

Vaarteen
Vaarteen Global Mapper User
edited June 2011 in Bug Report
Hello there.

I have a point style associating a .png image to some points.
Everything works on screen, but when I export to a PDF file, the image is not exported. The label appears, but no point, no image in the PDF.

Is this a bug, or even a known bug ?
I'm using GM v 12.02.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2011
    Do other points work but just not your custom PNG symbols? Are the points perhaps there but you have to zoom in on them a lot to see them? You might try providing a point scaling factor on the PDF export dialog to make the points bigger to see if they show up.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Vaarteen
    edited May 2011
    Build-in symbols always show up. Custom symbols not.
    I've tried some configurations, here are the results :
    1/ if I use a size factor on custom symbols, they do show up at the export (but it's not what I want)
    2/ if I use a fixed height in ground unit, it works ONLY IF the height is big enough. In my case (scale = 1:1000), fixed height=6m => symbol does'nt show up BUT fixed height=7m => symbol show up
    3/ if I use fixed height=5m and scale 1:300 => symbol show up

I guess it's a matter of ratio between the image size and the exported area size.

The same things occur on line style : the line's borders disappear at the export (again whith a fixed width).

By the way, export to a PS printer (a simple print :) ) works in all case : symbols show up as do line's borders whatever the case, but the lines' borders are really big.

So my question is : how may I do to be sure symbols are always showing up at the PDF export, whereas thez don't fill up my screen if I use a small scale (1:50000 or 1:100000) ?

Some more infos : my custom symbols are 40x40 pix. png images (may change this if that's the solution).
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2011
    Ah, so it's fixed height that's the issue, correct? There were some problems fixed just before the official v12.02 release with fixed height symbols not exporting correctly to PDF files, so perhaps you have an early v12.02 build and not the official release. Can you try getting the latest from the links below and see if that fixes your problem?

32-bit: http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_setup.exe
    64-bit: http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_setup_64bit.exe

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Vaarteen
    edited June 2011
    Correct, the issue seemed to be fixed height.
    It was indeed an older build. But alas there's no change with the new one. I need to change the fixed height to at least 7°/oo of the scale to make the symbols show up (fixed height : 7m, scale 1:1000, or fixed height : 2.1m scale 1:300).
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2011
    Ok I'll take a look and see if there are still some other issues.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2011
    I took a look and found some additional issues with fixed height symbols (both in display and PDF export). I've fixed those and now in my test fixed height custom symbols export correctly to PDF files. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Vaarteen
    edited June 2011
    Confirmed : it seems to work fine.
    Thanks Mike for the fix, I'll tell you if I find something wrong.
  • Vaarteen
    edited June 2011
    Hi again.
    It seems the problem is the same on lines.

When I use a drawing style "Solid with black edge" and a fixed width of 5m, the edge disappears at the PDF export.
    More : when I make a print, the edge take the fixed width, making it very BIG (as big as the line in fact).
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2011
    The PDF export doesn't support most of the custom line styles that Global Mapper supports, including edged lines, so when you export those styles are just converted back to a normal solid line.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Vaarteen
    edited June 2011
    OK, thanks for the answer. I can go with it for the PDF export.
    But what about the print ? Edges growing that big is annoying, as it makes the printed map unreadable, or at least uncomfortable to read. Should I just suppress the edges, or is there a way to fix this ?
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2011
    I took a look and was able to fix the issue with the black stripe getting way too big when printing. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Vaarteen
    edited June 2011
    Thank you a lot, I'll give it a try and tell you about, but I'm sure all is now fine.

Thanks again.
  • Vaarteen
    edited June 2011
    I confirm printing is now working as expected.

Thank you for your hard work.