Global Mapper v25.0

ICC WMS server with water mark

kalosh74
kalosh74 Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited July 2011 in Downloading Imagery
Dear all,

My question is about the ICC server, which have wms service, but you can access to arcgis services too.

This is WMS service: http://shagrat.icc.es/lizardtech/iserv/ows?

They have a lot of layers, and the maps are quite good for Catalonia (SPAIN).

The fact is when I try to see maps using global mapper, there is a water mark everywhere, but when I use arcgis service, because is needed my ICC user account data, (user and password) the water mark desappears.

My question is, how can I put my ICC user acount data to avoid water mark in global mapper wms service.

Regards,

Carlos.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2011
    Carlos,

The may vary from server to server so I can't be exactly sure how you would provide your username and password to that server as it isn't explicitly requesting authorization. Try changing your service name to the following when defining your source:

WMS&Username=<username_here>&Password=<password here>

WMS&Username=my_name&Password=my_password

and see if that works. If not you would need to contact the service provider to see how to provide your authorization to the WMS server, or maybe they have an alternate URL.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kalosh74
    kalosh74 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited May 2011
    OK, Thanks for your support, but it doesn't work.

Reading in ICC web page, I have seen there is an open layers API for web developers service, which consists in tiles server service.

I send you the sample they use here.

They have another service for Google maps Api, maybe it is useful too. The sample is here.

Maybe it is possible to include in some option of 12.02 version of Global Mapper.

If this is possible, please let me know and I will make some tests.

In this case the water mark desappears.

Thanks in advance.

Carlos.
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2011
    Carlos,

If they have a URL with either TMS or Google Maps named tiles, you can simply add that as a new source in Global Mapper v12.02 just like a WMS source, just select the appropriate source type and supply the URL and other parameters. Typically tiled sets like that are much faster to access than WMS sources as well.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kalosh74
    edited June 2011
    Dear Mike,

I am lost, I don't know how to configure the "select online source type" window.

I have made several combinations of text and coordinates, and it always return "error".

Can you give me a little help?

Regards,

Carlos.
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2011
    Carlos,

Is there any kind of documentation server where they document the Google Maps tiling that they are using? This might be on the same page where they list their WMS server.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kalosh74
    edited June 2011
    Dear Mike,

They have this page: http://www.icc.cat/eng/Home-ICC/Home/Cartography/Online-map-services

Is possible to choose between various download methods.

The most simple is WMS with GM, for example, but they aply a disgusting water mark, you can try if you want.

Then, they have Arc Gis support, so you can put user and password and then water mark desappears, but, Arc gis is not for download maps...

Finally they have google maps and open layer api. They explain with full detail, and samples of use.

I have tested their samples as plain html, and it is possible to see their maps in a browser, with no water mark, but you can only see, no download available.

I suppose, it is possible to configure something in GM, I don't know how, to take profit of this tile servers, and avoid the water mark.

So, this is the issue.

Regards,

Carlos.
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2011
    Carlos,

I was able to make some changes and get this working. Their examples don't really seem right, but I was able to figure it out. You need to add the new source as an OSM (OpenStreetMap) source with the URL 'http://norma.icc.cat/tilecache/tilecache.py/1.0.0/topo3857/?type=google' and set the image type to JPG (not PNG despite what their page suggests). Set the maximum zoom level to 18.

This worked for me in a new build. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kalosh74
    edited June 2011
    Dear Mike,

Thank you so much for your help.

Finally I could save ICC maps using tile server, without water marks!!!

It is little bit slow, but it is OK for me.

Related to large time making maps, I have one question about having PC working for a long time.

I have some electrical problems in my building and last day I saw the PC reestarted due to a little electrical cut. Even I have a SAI (electrical support battery), it was so long for my SAI, so I couldn't finish my maps process.

Is it possible to resume the map process changing some Global Mapper configurarion?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Carlos.
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2011
    Carlos,

Luckily with WMS the portion of the export that was already downloaded will be cached on your hard drive so it should go quickly up to that point. I would just restart the export and it should go pretty fast up to where it had gotten before the power went out.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kalosh74
    edited July 2011
    OK, this is a good new when downloading from WMS or tile server.

But what about a downloaded map you want to make, for example a big map made from 4274 parts, as I wanted some days ago?

Do I need to restart tha map any time the PC goes down?

Regards,

Carlos.
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2011
    Carlos,

Your other option would be to use the Gridding tab when exporting to split an export into smaller pieces. Then if your computer dies you can delete the last partially exported grid cell, then do the same gridded export again and check the option to skip existing files to resume your export.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kalosh74
    edited July 2011
    Dear Mike,

I knew this option and it's wonderful, but what I really need is a map in one part.

That's the question, maybe I need two weeks or more in a non-stop pc processing maps.

So, if you have any idea I will be glad to know how to recover a possible "dissaster".

Thank you so much for your help.

Regards,

Carlos.
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2011
    Carlos,

There really isn't any other way for resuming downloads, you would need your PC to be able to be up and running for the entire export process.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com