Global Mapper v25.0

Changing the appearance of the OSM map

verveh
verveh Global Mapper User
edited May 2011 in Downloading Imagery
I want to use Globalmapper to download and convert OSM maps, which works perfect. However, OSM shows some information I don't need in my map, i.e. buildings. Is there a way to change the appearance of the OSM map, i.e. change the colours or hide features?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2011
    You could use the filters on the Vector Display tab of the Configuration dialog to turn some types off so that they don't display.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • verveh
    verveh Global Mapper User
    edited January 2011
    Thanks, but changing anything there does not seem to effect the displayed map. Even if I filter everything, it still shows the complete Openstreetmap.

I used Tools -> Configure -> Vector Display tab

Then again... Openstreetmaps are raster maps, rather than vector maps. Am I right?
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2011
    Oh sorry I thought you were loading vector OSM files. The online OSM access is a raster map, so there isn't any way to change what is displayed there, you just get whatever the server provides.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • czietz
    czietz Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2011
    You can however use the custom styles for OSM data offered by CloudMade with GlobalMapper (or even make your own style to include that data you want).

In order to do that, you need to add a custom OSM data source with the base URL

http://tile.cloudmade.com/APIKEY/STYLEID/256/

where APIKEY needs to be replaced with your API key (which you will get from cloudmade.com) and STYLEID is the numerical ID of the style you want to use.
  • Noklu
    Noklu Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited May 2011
    I am trying to bring in a customized map from cloud made. I have set up the url as noted above. After a slight hang, I get an error saying image query failed.. error 404. I am I missing something? Do I need to add anything to the url?? Any help would be appreciated.
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2011
    I think CZIETZ might have to help you on this one, I'm not sure what the cloudemade.com URLs should be to work, but it sounds like he has gotten them to work before.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Noklu
    Noklu Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited May 2011
    I was playing with this a bit more and have gotten it to work! I was leaving the word STYLEID and inserting the ID number where 256 was. This was incorrect, replace the word STYLEID with the actual ID number and keep 256 tacked onto the end. I'm not sure what that is for (maybe 256 colours?). This is really helpful when used with the Online Data Source Download dialog. I made a new category with several different styles I would like to use as base map backgrounds. You can try different backgrounds fairly quickly.