Global Mapper v25.0

how to generate TTQV cal file ?

jean.pommier
jean.pommier Global Mapper User
edited July 2011 in Raster Data
Hi,

A friend of mine uses Touratech TTQV for his GPS navigation. He has downloaded big amounts of png + .cal for use in ttqv, and want to group and compress this data to large ECW maps. Thanks to Global Mapper, I performed this compression like a charm. BUT, I found no way to generate a .cal georeferencing file for TTQV. Using Global Mapper or other software. And no documentation of what is what in the .cal files. Most lines are easy to understand, but not all. Since Global Mapper can read them, I suppose you know how to generate them as well. Perhaps even there is a way, yet, to generate .cal files ?
Could you give me some help, please ? Best would be a way / script to generate them directly. But just documentation of how it is structured would be great too, I can manage myself, afterward.
Rq : The version of TTQV used is 4.0.133
I tested with a ECW + cal file my friend already had, and I confirm it can read it. The missing .cal file seems to be the only pb.

Thanks,
Jean

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2011
    Jean,

There is not currently a way to generate .cal files from Global Mapper. Which lines do you not know the meaning of, I may be able to help? The ECW files generated from Global Mapper should contain full positioning and projection information in them, so TTQV really shouldn't need a .cal file unless it just doesn't support embedded positioning information from inside the ECW file.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • jean.pommier
    edited April 2011
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for your answer. I completely agree with you, TTQV should not need anything else than the ECW file. But, I will not say here my opinion about this software... ;o)
    Nevertheless.... I'm going to try to setup a "moulinette" to create a valid cal file. I'm going to have a look at this, analyze what I can, and ask you for the rest, if you're still OK.
    Thanks,

Jean

Jean,

There is not currently a way to generate .cal files from Global Mapper. Which lines do you not know the meaning of, I may be able to help? The ECW files generated from Global Mapper should contain full positioning and projection information in them, so TTQV really shouldn't need a .cal file unless it just doesn't support embedded positioning information from inside the ECW file.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2011
    Sounds good to me.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • jean.pommier
    edited April 2011
    Mike,

I did not find what "scale_area" stands for. For me, french speaking, it does not sound very explicit. And I did not see the way obtaining such a number (eg scale_area = 6 = 3.395843e-010)
    Help please ! ;o)
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2011
    I'm afraid that I'm not sure what that field means either. It is not something that Global Mapper needs so that field is just ignored. I imagine that perhaps it refers to a ratio of the area of a single pixel to some area units, like square meters or something, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • jean.pommier
    edited April 2011
    OK, thanks.
    I'll try and see if I find what it means. I'll let you know, if I find the answer (maybe on TTQV forums ?)
    Cheers,

Jean
    I'm afraid that I'm not sure what that field means either. It is not something that Global Mapper needs so that field is just ignored. I imagine that perhaps it refers to a ratio of the area of a single pixel to some area units, like square meters or something, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • aawilson
    aawilson Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2011
    There is a small free program called OziMapConverter that can convert Oziexplorer .map files and a few others to the .cal files used by TTQV. If you can get your data in a format that OMC can use, this might work for you.
  • jean.pommier
    edited July 2011
    Hi,

Thanks aawilson.
    In fact, I forgot to mark this thread as solved : latest version of TTQV 4 (and 5 of course) seems to be able to read directly the ECW without .cal file.
    So, pb solved !
    Bye

Jean
    aawilson wrote: »
    There is a small free program called OziMapConverter that can convert Oziexplorer .map files and a few others to the .cal files used by TTQV. If you can get your data in a format that OMC can use, this might work for you.