Global Mapper v25.0

rogue symbol sizing

883robert
883robert Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited April 2011 in Technical Support
G'day all
I'm using GM 11.02 and am having trouble with resizing icons. The icons look good on the screen but when to print the map the icons are either too small to see or so big they obscure a lot of other data.
I had created new point styles based on built-in icons and adjusted the scale by changing the scale factor. When that resulted in the above problem I adjusted the scaling by setting the symbol to a fixed height in ground units. I got the same problem.
Any idea what I'm missing? I'm with WFP in Liberia and am under pressure to produce maps for a new strategy to cope with recent events in Ivory Coast.
Thanks in advance.
Robert

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2011
    Robert,

What format are you exporting to or are you just printing? I would expect that setting the icons to a fixed size in meters would be a proper solution to get the sizing that you want for output.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • 883robert
    883robert Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2011
    Hi Mike
    I'm just printing. The problem is not printer-dependent, also occurring with printing to Adobe Acrobat.
    I'm printing the screen contents and the icons vary with the scale of screen display. I've currently set the icons to 1200 m in ground units but they vary from perhaps that at small scales to many kilometers at larger scales.
    Attached are three files:
    screengrab.jpg A screen grab prior to printing
    print preview.jpg A screen grab of the print preview screen when printing to Adobe Acrobat
    print output.pdf The actual output file when printing to Adobe Acrobat.
    The behaviour is much the same when printing to a paper printer.
    I'm puzzled.
    regards
    Robert in Monrovia
    Robert,

What format are you exporting to or are you just printing? I would expect that setting the icons to a fixed size in meters would be a proper solution to get the sizing that you want for output.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2011
    I'll do some testing and see if I can figure out what is going on.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • 883robert
    edited April 2011
    Thanks Mke. The symbols are always rendered accurately on the screen. In the file I sent, the house icon is set to 1200m height and the coloured crosses 800m.
    I look forward to hearing what you testing uncovers.
    Your attention is greatly appreciated.It's one of the factors in my choosing Global Mapper.
    Robert
    I'll do some testing and see if I can figure out what is going on.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2011
    I have found the issue with fixed height symbols rendering to PDF files at a DPI other than 72. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with this fixed for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v11 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • tjhb
    tjhb Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2011
    Robert,
    It looks as though either your raster or your vector data has been given the wrong datum. Is that right? If so it should be easy to fix.
    Tim
  • 883robert
    edited April 2011
    Thanks Mike. However the behaviour of the new build with my setup is unchanged, when sending either to Adobe Acrobat or a printer.
    Curiously, the print preview shows the symbols very, very small, almost illegible. When I click on 'print' and the print dialogue box appears, the symbols are suddenly rendered the correct size.
    I've attached pdf 'prints' of the screen bounds. The house symbol is set to 1200 m of ground units. In GM test1.pdf it's rendered four times too big. In GM test 2.pdf it's three times too big. It's similar in the paper prints: the closer the zoom, the larger the icons are rendered with respect to their proper sizing.
    Hope this can give you a lead.
    regards
    Robert
    I have found the issue with fixed height symbols rendering to PDF files at a DPI other than 72. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with this fixed for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v11 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • 883robert
    edited April 2011
    tjhb wrote: »
    Robert,
    It looks as though either your raster or your vector data has been given the wrong datum. Is that right? If so it should be easy to fix.
    Tim

Don't quite understand you, Tim. The problem is icon sizing varying with the scale of the print job. I placed the icons manually using the same projection as all the other layers. They're rendered in the right place with every printing, just the wrong size.
    regards
    Robert
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2011
    Robert,

Are you using the File->Export PDF to generate the PDF files or printing to a PDF? The change that I made was only for using the File->Export PDF command to generate a PDF file, I didn't change anything related to printing.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • 883robert
    edited April 2011
    You picked it, Mike. I had been using Acrobat. It works fine when using the File->Export PDF command. That's an effective work-around.
    Many thanks
    Let me know if you find the quirk upsetting the printing.
    Kind regards
    Robert
    Robert,

Are you using the File->Export PDF to generate the PDF files or printing to a PDF? The change that I made was only for using the File->Export PDF command to generate a PDF file, I didn't change anything related to printing.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com