Global Mapper v25.0

FTP vs IE or Firefox Downloads

Roger Edrinn
Roger Edrinn Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited March 2008 in Technical Support
I'm trying to download a small number of zips of NED data from the USGS seamless server, here: "http://extract.cr.usgs.gov"

My problem is that my internet connection, a souped up 802.11b looking at a tower 8 mi away, is marginal at best. I've found my FTP client to be far more robust and faster the either IE or Firefox. I just today FTPed into the NHD site instead of using IE and all the zips were in the root directory. Just had to select my group and copy paste and wait for the download.

So I'm hoping I can use use the same procedure for the USGS seamless server. I tried ftp://extract.cr.usgs.gov and I couldn't connect. Anyone know the FTP address?

Thanks

Comments

• PaulTocknell
    PaulTocknell Forum Administrator Unconfirmed
    edited February 2008
    Roger,

Would you be interested in purchasing the TIGER and NED data? I am thinking about offering it on the website? It would be $99 for both 2006 Tiger Data and $99 for U.S. NED data.

What are your thoughts?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2008
    I don't believe that there exists a public FTP site for directly pulling down that data. I think that the seamless.usgs.gov site dynamically extracts the required data into files for download. I'm not sure what the format of the source data is, it may even be in a database of some kind.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2008
    $99 for U.S. NED data.

What are your thoughts?
    Since NED databases are so large, yes. But what do I get for my $99 and how do I get it? Downloading NED data for $99 solves no problem that I have. A DVD(s) covering a 5 x 5 degree area would get me interested.

Do you know how to FTP to "http://extract.cr.usgs.gov" ?
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited February 2008
    I don't believe that there exists a public FTP site for directly pulling down that data. I think that the seamless.usgs.gov site dynamically extracts the required data into files for download. I'm not sure what the format of the source data is, it may even be in a database of some kind.
    Bummer!!!

Since its a xxxxx.zip file, just like the NHD xxxxx.zip file I was hoping. Those files have to exist on a server some where. If I could FTP to it, life would be sweet.

Is their a download client for either IE or Firefox which offers more robustness? I'll get half way through a 160MB download and it'll just die, not a clue why. On a good day I can D/L at 2MB/min, often 1/4 that.

My FTP client seems to get through the disconnects and reconnects and picks up where it left off. IE and Firefox just die.

Thanks
  • PaulTocknell
    edited February 2008
    Roger,

You know, my mistake on the NED data. $99 is not correct. The next closest price on the net is $500. I would offer a 60 day introductory rate of $199 for it and $299 after that. It would be shipped to you on 2 DVDs.

Let me know if you are still interested.
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited February 2008
    Roger,

You know, my mistake on the NED data. $99 is not correct. The next closest price on the net is $500. I would offer a 60 day introductory rate of $199 for it and $299 after that. It would be shipped to you on 2 DVDs.

Let me know if you are still interested.
    Since you haven't told what coverage your offering, your post is meaningless.

What is on the 2 DVD's ????
  • PaulTocknell
    edited February 2008
    There would be the entire United States NED data on the 2 DVDs.

Paul.
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited February 2008
    There would be the entire United States NED data on the 2 DVDs.
    Ok, I'm interested but why are you forcing me to ask so many obvious questions? Have you ever sold anything before?

What resolution, what format?
  • PaulTocknell
    edited February 2008
    lol.

Yes, I have sold online before. I apologize that you are having to ask the questions instead of me presenting the product information and allowing you to decide for yourself. I have actually been thinking of adding this as a product available on globalmapperforum.com And when I saw this come up on the forum, I kind of just piped in without having all my ducks in a row.

Here is some more information about the data:
    • Coverage: Entire United States
    • Source Data: USGS DEM data
    • Projection: Geographic, NAD 83,GRS 80, decimal degrees
    • Resolution: one arc-second (approximately 30 meters) for the conterminous United States, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico and a resolution of two arc-seconds for Alaska.
    • Format GMG - Global Mapper Grid
    Like I said, delivery method will be DVD. The next closest product like this available on the net is $500 so it is a pretty good deal for $199 (a steal really). I'll keep it at that rate for the first 60 days once it is officially available. This is more of a pre-release, just trying to help you out.
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited February 2008
    Here is some more information about the data:
    • Coverage: Entire United States
    • Source Data: USGS DEM data
    • Projection: Geographic, NAD 83,GRS 80, decimal degrees
    • Resolution: one arc-second (approximately 30 meters) for the conterminous United States, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico and a resolution of two arc-seconds for Alaska.
    • Format GMG - Global Mapper Grid
    At least now I know what you're selling.

Since I started this thread specifically mentioning 1/3" NED downloads, I assumed you might be offering 1/3's. I have no use for 1" NEDs.

Perhaps as your selling plans mature you could offer 1/3's too. All the other specs look good, particularly GMG.

If you recall, I started this thread looking for a download solution, specifically FTP. Didn't happen, but I have found a IE download client which works well: Download Accelerator Plus. A bit garish and rude with its ads but I'm able to download 1 x 0.5 deg 1/3" NEDs which are about 160MB, 1+ hour each.
  • STH
    STH Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2008
    May I suggest you also try Firefox (Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable) and the DownThemAll-plugin (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201) - works like a charm for all file types and with a lot of options.
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited February 2008
    STH wrote: »
    May I suggest you also try Firefox (Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable) and the DownThemAll-plugin (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201) - works like a charm for all file types and with a lot of options.
    I did, Firefox crashed too!!!

Haven't tried the plugins, to many to know which. The good news, DAP is working well even if it's a bit rude. I've seen the speed drop to zero on a number of occasions and DAP picks up where it left off and I don't loose any data. Therefore little incentive to do more hunting for a prettier interface.

Thanks
  • STH
    STH Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2008
    It is very strange that firefox crashed.

You do NOT need to install alot of plugins, only the one mentioned: DownThemAll - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201.

But until you want to try something new, keep up with IE and DAP.
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited February 2008
    STH wrote: »
    It is very strange that firefox crashed.
    Perhaps I overstated. Firefox didn't crash in the classic sense, just that when you get 80MB into a 160MB download and it fails, that to me is a crash. Exactly the same thing I got from IE6.

OTOH, DAP seems to just truck along. Making me overlook its ads and rudeness for that which I most care about, it works. No doubt their are other plugins which work as well, I'm just not compelled to look.
  • Matt
    Matt Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2008
    Have you tried

USDA:NRCS:Geospatial Data Gateway:home

Looks like you can select 10-m or 30-m NED data and then they will email you link to download via FTP. NO charge.

Matt
  • PaulTocknell
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the link Matt