Global Mapper v25.0

Handling of s-63 maps question

diofantis
diofantis Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited December 2014 in SDK
Hi,
does anyone know how is it possible to display s63 maps in a GM SDK application?
Is the GM application able to display s63 maps? There is something about generating "permit keys".

Thanks in advance,
diofantis

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2010
    Yes, you can load S-63 files in the latest Global Mapper SDK. Because S-63 files are encrypted for a particular application on a particular machine, you need to call GM_CreateS63UserPermitFile to generate a S-63 permit file for a particular installation, then provide that to the S-63 data provider so that they can provide S-63 data files that can be decoded by that installation. Once you get those encoded files from the data provider, then just load the .000 file.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • vlima
    vlima Global Mapper User
    edited March 2011
    Hello.

I want to convert S-63 files in shapefile using Global Mapper v11.02. I have the permission to open the S-63 files with my Global Mapper, I can do Export Raster and Elevation Data to geotiff, jpg, but when I try to do Batch Convert/Reproject from S-63 format to shapefile I get the message `All of the files to be exported are copyright protected and cannot be exported to new files`.
    Is this not possible at all? What other possibilities are there?
    I would like to ask for your help in this issue.

Thank you very much in advance.
    Regards.

VLima
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2011
    VLima,

The S-63 format does not allow export to new vector format files (like Shapefiles) as then the copyright of the data would be lost and the data could be released into the wild without protection. You can only export a rasterized picture of the data.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Toni Heimala
    Toni Heimala Global Mapper User
    edited June 2012
    Hi,

We have previously purchased license for ECDIS from Primar and they provided ENC.PMT and PERMIT.TXT files. When calling GM_CreateS63UserPermitFile() and providing them the permit file if they send us ENC.PMT and PERMIT.TXT for GlobalMapper as well, where should those files be put or will GlobalMapper even handle these files?

Additionally is this procedure same for the GlobalMapper software (File -> Create S-63 User Permit File...)?

We would also like to export specific vector layers (shoreline) from the S-63 data as a elevation grid raster. Is that be possible considering the copyright limitations?
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2012
    Once you have the permit.txt file for your data set, the easiest thing to do is place it in the same folder as the S-63 data file. Global Mapper (and the SDK) will automatically look there for it. If the permit.txt cannot automatically be found the user will be prompted to select it.

Because of the copyright limitations of S-63 data you will really only be able to view the data. You cannot directly access the low-level coordinates and you cannot export the data to another format.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • Toni Heimala
    Toni Heimala Global Mapper User
    edited July 2012
    We finally got the data unlocked by placing the PERMIT.TXT to the same location as the .000 files. However it seems that there are very many of such .000 files and the PERMIT.TXT would have to be copied into each of these folders. Additionally if we got two of our software that want to use the same S-63 data but they need different PERMIT.TXT due to being in different a different computer, we would face a conflict of PERMIT.TXT files. Is there any other way to provide the location where GlobalMapper SDK searches for this PERMIT.TXT file other than asking the user for each .000 file?

Additionally there seems to be two .000 files in the same directory but only one of them is valid S-57 (the other contains some textual information). Is there a way to make GlobalMapper SDK only open S-57 i.e. inspect the header of each .000 or something? Currently it will try to open all of these .000 files resulting in a dialog asking the user which format the improper .000 file is but loading the proper S-57 file without asking questions (except for the PERMIT.TXT when it's not in the same folder as the .000 file).
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2012
    If you known the path to the PERMIT.TXT file for a .000 file, use GM_LoadLayerListEx and pass in that full path and filename as the extra flags parameters with quotes around it. In C this would be something like "\"c:\\path_to_permit\\PERMIT.TXT\"". You can also setup a registry key (by default at 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Global Mapper\S63PermitDir') that has the path to the PERMIT.TXT files for the .000 file you are about to open.

If you pass in the GM_LoadFlags_HideUnknownPrompt load flag then the prompt to select the file type for unknown files won't be shown and the load will just fail.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • Chris Charles
    Chris Charles Global Mapper User
    edited December 2014
    Hi,
    Regarding loading S-63 format, do you need the latest version of Global Mapper to do this?

Thanks,
  • nlneilson
    nlneilson Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2014
    How about S-57 also.

How about any information on tiling the NOAA marine charts.
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited December 2014
    Hello,

I am not sure exactly when it was implemented, but both S-57 and S-63 formats have been supported for import in Global Mapper for several years. What version do you have?
    How about any information on tiling the NOAA marine charts.

Can you be more specific about what functionality you are looking for?

Cheers,

Bob
  • nlneilson
    edited December 2014
    bmg_bob wrote: »
    Hello,

I am not sure exactly when it was implemented, but both S-57 and S-63 formats have been supported for import in Global Mapper for several years. What version do you have?

I am trying the V16 Trial

[QUOTE

Can you be more specific about what functionality you are looking for?

Cheers,

I am using the V16 Trial.

I tiled all of the FAA Charts for use in NASA World Wind apps
    I referred several members of their forum to GM that did not learn to use dstile.
    I want to tile the NOAA marine charts.
    If GM can do it there are several that would like to do it.

Bob[/QUOTE]
  • nlneilson
    edited December 2014
    There are some that have been able to import the Marine charts using the WWJ import code.

Pre tiling has several advantages and that is what is needed to be done.
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited December 2014
    Hello,

You can import the S-57 charts, then export them using File->Export->Export Web Format..., and select the World Wind Tiles option from the list (or any of the other tiled export options.) Is that what you are trying to do?

Cheers,

Bob
  • nlneilson
    edited December 2014
    That sounds like what I am trying to do.
    It has been several years since using GM and that was only with the FAA .tif format of the charts.

Thanks, I will tinker with the V16 Trial version I have downloaded.