Global Mapper v25.0

Andriod and/or iOS Compatible Output?

Roger Edrinn
Roger Edrinn Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited March 2011 in Suggestion Box
Any hope of either Andriod and/or iOS Compatible Output? Did a search on Android, unless I misspelled it, no hits.

I have a lot of content in Global Mapper master files which would be an easy sell in the Smartphone/Tablet application market.

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2011
    In theory any format would be compatible with Android or iPhone OS, it would depend on what the software running on those platforms supports. There aren't any plans to make a version of Global Mapper to run on those platforms.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2011
    Maybe I was unclear. Do not want in anyway to run GM on Android. Rather much like GM to Polish (MP) an export of content.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2011
    I don't know of any good Android applications that take custom maps, but I'm sure they are out there. You would really need to find a mapping application running on Android first, then determine which file formats that it can accept. There isn't anything platform-specific about the file formats themselves.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • vax
    vax Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2011
    Mike, a stripped-off GlobalMapper-port to Android platform can easily become a killer-app.

It's a matter of displaying raster an vector output of any format available, plus some live GPS-data over the map, plus some routing features from here to there.

GlobalMapper does it all except the routing.

People somehow get pissed of living with the totally restrictive Garmin-way of using GPS. GM would give some fresh air with such builtin features as easy map editing, point, line & area customization, etc.
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2011
    While I agree that a stripped-down Android or iPhoneOS version of Global Mapper would meet some demand, I just don't think there is enough revenue in it to be worth the large amount of effort to port even the core of Global Mapper to a mobile non-Windows platform. Since Global Mapper is a one-man-effort and I'm already nearly overwhelmed there just aren't any development resources to make such a thing make sense economically.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • tjhb
    tjhb Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2011
    Avenza PDF Maps (currently free for iPhone) might be worth mentioning here. It is an intelligent reader of geospatial PDF and GeoTIFF for mobile devices. Maybe they could be encouraged to produce an Android version as well.

http://www.avenza.com/pdf-maps
    http://www.avenza.com/news/2011/03/16/avenza-releases-pdf-maps-update-itunes-app-store