Global Mapper v25.0

Importing nearmap imagery

883robert
883robert Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited January 2011 in Technical Support
Hi
I'm want to use nearmap imagery (www.nearmap.com) as an alternative to buying aerial photos in my map making. However I can't import into Global Mapper (v11.0)the files I've exported from Nearmap.
The files are:
1-1.ers
1-1.jgw
1-1.jpg
1-2.ers
1-2.jgw
1-2.jpg
Tiles.hypertile
Tiles.vrt
In this case there are two tiles to the image.
Can somebody provide what I suspect is the glaringly obvious omission on my part?
thanks in advance
Robert
Melbourne, Aust.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2011
    Robert,

You should be able to load the 2 .jpg files using the File->Open Data File menu command.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • 883robert
    883robert Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the prompt reply Mike. However when I load the .jpg file I get 'JPG files do not contain projection information'.
    I've read that Nearmap uses Spherical Mercator (first I've heard of it) but I don't have the option of specifying that.
    When I specify Mercator (WGS84) the longitude is correct but the latitude is a little off, about 10 minutes. Can you help?
    kind regards
    Robert
    Robert,
    You should be able to load the 2 .jpg files using the File->Open Data File menu command.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2011
    Robert,

Yes, the Spherical Mercator should be the default Mercator projection but with the Google Maps datum, not WGS84. Give that a try for the projection of the data.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • 883robert
    edited January 2011
    Thanks Mike. I imported the Nearmap images using GDA94 but there's still a discrepancy.
    The Nearmap FAQ says
    'NearMap uses Datum Epochs ranging from 2009.0 through to 2010.0.'
    As far as I can tell GM makes no provision for specifying the epoch. Am I right?
    Thanks again. Great product by the way. Keep up the good work
    regards
    Robert

Mike wrote:
    Yes, the Spherical Mercator should be the default Mercator projection but with the Google Maps datum, not WGS84. Give that a try for the projection of the data.
  • 883robert
    edited January 2011
    All done now Mike. From Nearmap I have to save in GDA94/MGA zone 55. Then it's elementary to import to GM using the same, i.e. projection MGA, datum GDA94 and zone MGA zone 55.
    Now the coordinates in GM agree with those provided by Nearmap.
    Thanks once again for your help. Here's a very happy user.
    regards
    Robert
    883robert wrote: »
    Thanks Mike. I imported the Nearmap images using GDA94 but there's still a discrepancy.
    The Nearmap FAQ says
    'NearMap uses Datum Epochs ranging from 2009.0 through to 2010.0.'
    As far as I can tell GM makes no provision for specifying the epoch. Am I right?
    Thanks again. Great product by the way. Keep up the good work
    regards
    Robert

Mike wrote: