Global Mapper v25.0

Exporting slope magnitude data

mpbro
mpbro Global Mapper User
edited January 2011 in Elevation Data
I notice GM can perform slope calculations on loaded elevation data. I'm stumped on how to export, or whether I can export, this slope data, analogously to exporting the elevation data itself.

Many thanks!
Morgan

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2011
    Morgan,

You can select the Slope Shader on the toolbar to display slope values graphically and on the status bar. To export slope values, use the File->Export Elevation Data menu command and export to the Float/Grid format. That export includes an option to export slope values rather than elevation values.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mpbro
    mpbro Global Mapper User
    edited January 2011
    Mike,

Thank you! Yes, I was able to export to the float/grid format and now I can load this binary data back into GM. Was hoping to export the data as ASCII for use externally.

Morgan
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2011
    Once you have re-loaded the slope data from the Float/Grid file, you could then export it to any elevation format and get the slope values since that is what is now loaded and interpreted as elevation. Just use the File->Export Elevation Data menu command and export as a XYZ Grid (or some other ASCII format) file.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Ludovic
    Ludovic Global Mapper User
    edited January 2011
    Mike,
    My problem is similar to Morgan's one.
    I used your explanation, it works perfects, I can now work with slope values. But i now need to generate vector area features depending on slope values with a fixed interval.
    Value between 0° and 5°, Value between 5° and 10°, Value between 10° and 15°...

Today i only found a way to generate areas with this rule:
    Value between 0° and maximal value, Value between 5° and maximal value, Value between 10° and maximal value.

Thanks for your help

Ludovic
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2011
    Ludovic,

While the contour generation is limited like that, the new option to right-click on a layer in the Control Center and generate equal-value areas has a solution. Just do this and provide 2.5 as the fuzziness factor for the elevation and you should get the slope in bands of 5 degrees.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Ludovic
    Ludovic Global Mapper User
    edited January 2011
    Hello Mike,
    Thanks for your answer. it works ! Great.
    Is there a way to interpolate/smooth contour ?
    Capture.PNG
    Thanks again for your help.
    Ludovic
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2011
    Ludovic,

You can select the generated areas with the Digitizer Tool then right-click and select the option to smooth the features, although since many of your contour areas are just squares covering a single cell I'm afraid there isn't much smoothing that can be done for that case as smoothing works better on areas that cover larger areas of data.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com