Global Mapper v25.0

Automatic downloading of USGS geopdf files

redbeard
redbeard Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited February 2011 in Suggestion Box
Not a requirement, but somehow being able to download the USGS geopdf (zip) files from within the program would be cool. Probably hard to implement as the only way I know how to get them is via the store.usgs.gov map locator.

Alternatively -

add the usgs data sources to the download online data area - (you already have the NAIP) and have it automatically style like the USTOPO maps. That'd be a treat with less hassle of pdf (see below).

Also - the auto crop collar doesnt work on most geopdfs I've tried (I mentioned this already) is there a way to bulk make it crop to the lat/long option rather than one at a time?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2011
    There are already sources for the USGS DRGs and DOQs under the File->Download Online Imagery menu command. The DRG data source should provide seamless topo maps. I'm not aware of the USGS offering their own web service with this data like the NAIP imagery, but could certainly add it if there is one.

Can you point me at a a GeoPDF that doesn't crop correctly automatically? I'm guessing the crop polygon is just specified incorrectly in the PDF file. You should be able to select multiple loaded GeoPDF file in the Control Center, press Options, then go to the Cropping tab and specify to crop to a specific boundary.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeard
    redbeard Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2011
    That's what the issue was previously - internal to the pdf, but the selecting to crop to the boundary seems to crop all the highlighted files to the boundary of one of the files. When I view it in with adobe - I do notice that the data extends past the edge of the map, and the collar covers it at the specific lat/long.

http://ims.er.usgs.gov/gda_services/download?item_id=5240025&quad=Cascade&state=CO&grid=7.5X7.5&series=TNM%20GeoPDF
    the bottom of the file at the link above (less so on the sides) but cropping is fine when set to the lat/lon.

When I highlight all of the files (say 6 of the USTOPO) and hit crop to the specific lat/lon it only crops to that lat/long (from one of the quads) and cuts the rest of the maps off, and if there are overlapping collars from other maps later in the draw order, it keeps those collars.
    But it does work if I set each map individually.

I am aware of the USGS DRG and DOQ sources, and use them. But it was the USTOPO that was of interest here. They have a nice site for downloading them, but if you need several, it starts to be...tedious.

I haven't found the source for all of the USGS data (ie their contour line files, annotation, hyd etc). I do know how to find the NHD, and some other road files, but I'm not sure what dataset the usgs is using. It'd be nice if they had a USTOPO data source page where you could download shapefiles or something.
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2011
    You need to use the option on the Cropping tab to 'Snap to Manually Specified Degree Boundary', not the one to crop to a specific lat/lon boundary. Then you can specify for example to crop on a 0.125 degree (7.5') boundary and all files will be cropped on the nearest boundary of that multiplier. That way different actual lat/lon bounds will be used for each layer. This is a somewhat recently added feature, but should be in v12 anyway.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeard
    edited January 2011
    That option works perfectly. I guess I thought that's how the auto cropping thing worked.
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2011
    That is how the auto-cropping works, except when the file specifically encodes a crop polygon (like a PDF or BSB file does), in which case that specified boundary is used. Of course if that boundary is wrong then the auto-crop doesn't work for those files.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeard
    edited February 2011
    OK...I have another one. How do I use this option with the batch export menu command?
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2011
    You can't directly use it in the batch export menu, but if you load all of the data into the main UI and setup the cropping as you want, then do a batch conversion and choose to use the loaded files and the crop option, then the cropping options from the files loaded in the main user interface should be used for each export.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com