Global Mapper v25.0

Georeferencing causes underlying images to also attempt to be georeferenced

stitchenal
stitchenal Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited December 2010 in Bug Report
I am using Global Mapper 12 build time Sep 21 2010 23:50:06

When I georeference a new image, sometimes the underlying map catalog aerial images I am using for reference have a separate georeferencing window open for them. Usually I can click on cancel and continue georeferencing the new image. When I move to a new section that loads a new underlying reference image, the separate georeferencing window opens again for the new underlying image. Once in a while when I first start georeferencing an image, the underlying image georeferencing dialog comes up and cannot be cancelled. The only way to get around it is to enter fake control points and click ok.

I have tried installing a newer build, but get the error "Iti_dsdk_dll.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2010
    To use the new build you need to extract the contents of the .zip file over your existing installation, you can't just run the .exe file from the .zip.

When you say the underlying image geo-reference dialog comes up, is it prompting you to manually rectify an image from the map catalog? When you created the map catalog did you receive the same prompt? I would have expected that step to be done when you initially added the images to the map catalog so you wouldn't have to do it again. Are the images in the map catalog properly positioned or is it possible their metadata files are no longer available?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • stitchenal
    stitchenal Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2010
    The map catalog consists of zipped sid ortho files that have already been georeferenced. They appear just fine when opened in Global Mapper and usually when georeferencing another image using them as the reference image. Once in a while, either when starting the georeferencing of another image or when moving around in the reference image a new but empty georeferencing dialog window opens for the with the reference image sid file name. Usually I can cancel and get back to the actual rectification (georeference) window, but occasionally it will not let me cancel the dialog.

Regarding installing a new build, I have unzipped the file and double clicked on the uncompressed globalmapper12.exe file.
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2010
    Did you extract the global_mapper12.exe file over your existing copy of that file in the Global Mapper v12 install folder (likely 'C:\Program Files (x86)\GlobalMapper12'?

That is strange that the geo-referencing window would pop up for a SID file that already had built-in referencing information. Is is possible for you to provide me with one of the SID files so that I can try and reproduce the issue?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • stitchenal
    edited December 2010
    Oops, I didn't read your instructions very carefully. I see now that the .exe file is a replacement file rather than an installer.

Regarding the sid files. They are downloaded from the Pennsylvania Spatial Data site at
    ftp://www.pasda.psu.edu/pub/pasda/mrsid/doq/

The strange thing is they work most of the time. The phantom georeferencing dialog shows up inconsistently. It still occurs with the build I downloaded yesterday.
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2010
    That is very strange, the files seem to be self geo-referenced, so they shouldn't ever need manual rectification. Does it seem to be the same files that pop up needing geo-referencing or does it vary? Does it happen very often?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • stitchenal
    edited December 2010
    I tried creating the catalog with unziped versions of all the pa sid files and still got the phantom georeferencing dialog windows (windows have no map images in them, just the sid filename at the top). Instead of creating a catalog, I open the 4 sid files for the area I was last working on and tried again. When not in the map catalog, the georeferencing went without a hitch.
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2010
    Aha I debugged in while rectifying against a map catalog and was able to reproduce the issue and get it fixed. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • stitchenal
    edited December 2010
    Thanks, georeferencing using map catalogs now works perfectly.