Global Mapper v25.0

Export to OpenStreetMap tiles

Bosti
Bosti Global Mapper User
edited January 2011 in Suggestion Box
Hellov!

Is there posibility to add in GlobalMapper to export tiles in OpenStreetMap format?
Similar like Google maps tiles export.

Thanx,
Regards

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2008
    This is something that could be added to the todo list. However, I thought there were tools on the OSM site for creating maps in other formats and the site could convert them. I may be mistaken though.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Bosti
    Bosti Global Mapper User
    edited October 2008
    We are searching solution for this: how to create non OSM data to OSM tiles structure. for example a raster map or ortophoto. we didn't find the solution yet, yours GlobalMapper is the closest ;-)

Regards, Bosti
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2008
    Bosti,

I'm really not famliar with the OSM tile layout. If it is some regularly spaced tile mechanism then I would think you could get there using the Gridding tab when exporting from Global Mapper.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy Global Mapper User
    edited October 2008
    Bosti & Mike,

Openlayers can be used to overlay OSM and GM exported Google map tiles. It natively supports OSM as a layer type as well as tiling. I use this functionality, but I overlay on Google layers not OSM.

Not sure if this addresses your needs, but it works great for me.

Jeremy
  • Hajo Schmitt
    Hajo Schmitt Global Mapper User
    edited July 2009
    Hello Mike,

did something happend with the forementioned "Export to OSM tiles" feature ? (BTW: the OSM tile import in Version 11 is a great new feature!)

Why we are also asking for this feature: our idea is to publish Global Mapper generated content to OSM-aware apps (maybe you heard of CloudMade Makes Maps Differently).

You already "understood" the OSM tile format, so it should by rather simple to adopt the Google Maps generator logic to OSM.

Greetings

Hans
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2009
    Hans,

We are still planning to add an exporter to the OSM XML format. This will hopefully make the upcoming v11 release.

Are you wanting an exporter to get vector data into this format, or an exporter to get any data into the rasterized tile format that OSM uses for hosting their rendered data online?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Hajo Schmitt
    edited July 2009
    >Are you wanting an exporter to get vector data into this format, or an
    >exporter to get any data into the rasterized tile format that OSM uses for
    >hosting their rendered data online?

The raster/tile format. The idea is to use viewers like slippy map or the forementioned Cloudemade viewer (iPhone ...) with Global Mapper generated content, provided from a own tile server.

To me it looks to be fairly simple: it is a sort of the Google Maps tile exporter with another tile/zoom layer numbering scheme.

Greetings

Hans
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2009
    Hans,

Ok understood. I agree this should be pretty simple to add. I'll try and get this added for the next v11 beta when I return from vacation.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Hajo Schmitt
    edited July 2009
    Maybe helpfull ;-) :

If you ever get confused by the different tile-schemes (Google Maps, OSM, TMS ..) just have a look at the follwoing website:

Tiles à la Google Maps: Coordinates, Tile Bounds and Projection - conversion to EPSG:900913 (EPSG:3785) and EPSG:4326 (WGS84)

You can interactively look-up tile-numbers .....

Hans
  • redbeard
    redbeard Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2009
    I also have this request. My question is, does anyone have a sample page that uses openlayers and the googlemaps tiles generated by globalmapper?

I'm thinking just the html and xml or something. It seems you could just edit some files to get the openlayers front end, as it does have google as a base map in many applications.

I have a v11 license, and I plan on installing win7 x64 rc soon to see if that can make the export move faster for a lot of data.
  • STH
    STH Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2009
    Not sure if it helps - but here is a webpage you can use to compare Google Maps / Yahoo Maps and overlay of Openstreetmap-data:

http://www.tienod.com/openstreetmap-google-maps-vergleich-overlay/

It`s in German - however quite easy to understand - just check the + at the top right to select layer and change the transparency.
  • metallo
    metallo Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2009
    separate "zoom level" and "exported resolution"?

i enjoy the time-saving factor of the styled OSM raster exports for quick maps and overlays. however, there is an issue with the resolution of the export: GM will zoom in when i select a 1m export and zoom out when i select a 150m export. the problem is that the exported raster has just barely enough pixels to make the text readable. it would be best if i could tell it what zoom level i wanted for the raster stlyes, independent of the export resolution.

hope this makes sense...
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2009
    If you wanted to pull from a specific zoom level what I would suggest is exporting at the lower resolution (say 2m resolution), then pulling that exported result back into Global Mapper and then exporting that at your desired final resolution (say 1m). That way you'll just resample the lower resolution data to a higher resolution.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeard
    edited August 2009
    Sigbjørn, thanks.

I like that particular example, and I do like the flexibility that OpenLayers offers. When I get time, I'll try to give the source a good look and see what I can do. I may just have to take a basic web development class.

The openlayers site has some good stuff, the gallery and the examples pages are nice resources.

-Mike
  • Mart
    Mart Global Mapper User
    edited June 2010
    Hi Mike,

Any progress on this issue? I would like to change to OpenLayer-structure but by using GM-generated tiles for Googlemaps. Problem is the way GM (or OL) can use these- Tiling is upside down and contra, so the structure in OL can't handle that...Zoomingfactors are the same. Other tools like Maptiler can't handle big mosaics like GM does (but it generates nice startingpages). One could select a layer and generate tiles by hand, but that can't be a real solution. . I also didn't find any example where tiles generated with GM are used in OL/OSM. (that would also be helpfull) Because this question pops up now and than I thought: Why not ask again!

Mart
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2010
    Mart,

No progress yet, but this is one of the big features we plan on adding to v12 due in a couple months. We are just starting to work on the major features that will be in v12 and this will be one of the first ones that we tackle.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Mart
    Mart Global Mapper User
    edited June 2010
    Super! What more can one wish?
  • Mart
    Mart Global Mapper User
    edited September 2010
    Hi Mike. No support jet in V12 /at least I could find it. But do you have a script available to get the same solution? I see simular questions also under other subjects, so a script could be a temporary solution- or is it in the official version?
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2010
    I haven't worked on the feature yet, if it was added it would be early next week just before the official release. More likely it will be done shortly after the initial v12.00 release, but of course made available to everyone immediately as a new build.

You could certainly achieve this with a script, but I don't have a sample. Basically you would just have an EXPORT_RASTER command for each tile to export with the necessary bounds and pixel dimensions or resolution.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Mart
    Mart Global Mapper User
    edited September 2010
    Hi Mike,
    I haven't finished my main project jet, so I can wait! Basically I would need the Google-maps-tiles-export but reversed from east to west and south to north as in GM. Such a tilepack functions in Googlemaps/Openlayers etc! Maybe this make it a little clearer:

var ymax = 1 << zoom;
    var y = ymax - tile.y -1;
    var tileBounds = new GLatLngBounds(
    mercator.fromPixelToLatLng( new GPoint( (tile.x)*256, (tile.y+1)*256 ) , zoom ),
    mercator.fromPixelToLatLng( new GPoint( (tile.x+1)*256, (tile.y)*256 ) , zoom )
  • viaminds
    viaminds Global Mapper User
    edited October 2010
    I am very interested too on this functionality : export raster /other formats to osm tiles (the same way you have to google maps tiles ). Would it be implemented soon ? Any clue on how to do it via scripting?
    Thanks in advance
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2010
    I'm hoping to get this functionality added in the new 2-3 weeks. To do it via scripting you would simply have an EXPORT_RASTER script command for each tile export that you need to do.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • viaminds
    viaminds Global Mapper User
    edited October 2010
    Thanks a lot for the answer . Looking forward the new release. Regards
  • sjf_support
    sjf_support Global Mapper User
    edited October 2010
    Hi All,

I am new to the forum, and read this thread. I have been doing a lot of work with generating tilemaps and have been looking into the way GM is doing it. Ease of use is impressive, but for large tilesets (high zoom levels over 18 or so) performance is slow.

I have been using the OSGEO4W format and a good startingpoint is www.maptiles.org. These tools generate OSGEo openlayers and google compatible tiles. Moreover: through parallel processing (using multicores) processing speed is ince=reased.

To do this in GM is also possible: Mike suggested to me to start multiple instances of GM simultanious tiling the same file with the skip exsisting tiles option). I tried thsi and it works OK (but is a littlebit cumbursome to stat it all up).

Adding a google maps / openlayer (OSGEO) compatible output would be great. If it could include a douplication button to automatically start up mutiple instances for tile generation that would be great.

last but not least: I post proces the generated tiles in two steps:
    1. deleting empty tiles (they will be replaced bij one singel none.png tile (this will reduce the numer of tiles about 90% (especially at high zoomlevels a lot of empy tiles can begenerated)
    2. I squeeze the png files using a neuquant algorithem, reducing the tile size with about 50-60%

because the generated tiles have to be uploaded to a server, reducing the number of tiles and size will speed up uploading and will increase the performance.

Examples of output you can find here:

http://www.dakscan.nl/dsgmaps/amsterdam/
    http://www.you-rs.com/arnhem/

tileformat used (generated by gdal2tiles) is:

var ymax = 1 << zoom;
    var y = ymax - tile.y -1;
    var tileBounds = new GLatLngBounds(
    mercator.fromPixelToLatLng( new GPoint( (tile.x)*256, (tile.y+1)*256 ) , zoom ),
    mercator.fromPixelToLatLng( new GPoint( (tile.x+1)*256, (tile.y)*256 ) , zoom )

if (mapBounds.intersects(tileBounds)) {
    return zoom+"/"+tile.x+"/"+y+".png";
    } else {
    return "/none.png";
    }

Hope this helps and i hope GM12.01 will include an openlayer and multicore option to generate this directly...

Cheers
    Stefan
    The Netherlands
  • redbeard
    edited October 2010
    correction to your link - you mean maptiler.org rather than maptiles .org?

Keep in mind, GlobalMapper does have the option to skip empty tiles.

I do like the use of the none.png tile. I think only the more commercial version or maptiler does parallel (from maptiler.com).

Might I as how you do step 2? "2. I squeeze the png files using a neuquant algorithem, reducing the tile size with about 50-60%".
  • Mart
    Mart Global Mapper User
    edited October 2010
    Hi Stefan ( of Hallo Stefan)
    The problem with maptiler is that it can't handle big mosaics in ecw ( I'm talking about ecw's of over 100GB). GM can handle that super and one can add extra info on top of that. The problem with OS is that it seems like cursing if one mentions GM. One can ask for support for these bigger files to be handled, but that meens one has to put a collection out of hands and that is not always possible. So.. Asking Mike to put in this TMS-support/ way of tiling, will bring 2 big projects together! Groeten Mart (maptraxx.nl)
  • Mart
    Mart Global Mapper User
    edited October 2010
    I think there is an other option http://mapfish.org/apidoc/trunk/files/openlayers/lib/OpenLayers/Layer/XYZ-js.html
    It seems it's using tileschema like it's generated by GM for Googlemaps. Now a working example has to be found with a package created with Global Mapper. Who has a suggestion? On the other hand, maybe a HTML-page generated by GM using this jscript together with the normal Googlemaps-page would be even better!

Ciao
    Mart
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2010
    Mart,

I'm about to start working on adding the tiling support for the OSM schema to Global Mapper, so hopefully in 1-2 weeks (sooner if I make quick progress, the user interface is the most difficult part) Global Mapper will have much better tools for this functionality.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeard
    edited October 2010
    I think the advantage of the TMS setup- if you have to deliver tiles to a customer to use in their application that uses this kind of setup - they have all the documentation they need and can easily use whatever front end they like. It just seems a little easier to get a tms setup working with mapserver/geoserver or whatever - since TMS is a platform agnostic spec.

Though to make GlobalMapper a complete setup for managing this kind of data - maybe for V13 or 14 you could have it replace tiles in certain areas - say you replace some data with newer data that covers only part of the existing set - then it can re-render just those tiles rather than the whole set. Basically re-render all tiles that overlap the new data that is inserted in the catalog. Just an idea.
  • Mart
    Mart Global Mapper User
    edited October 2010
    Hi Mike; Knowing you, you will astonish me again with a lovely piece of work, because at this moment I think the xyz-option will only answer half of the question. Maybe you also want to look at the new WMTS standard (to make it a bit more complicated) http://mapfishblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/from-tilecache-to-wmts.html

Thanks again

Mart