Global Mapper v25.0

deffinition query

phxdwl
phxdwl Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited September 2010 in Technical Support
i know you were thinking about adding this and i wonderd if it had been added.
also is there a way to mak layer goups in the new build that i have mised?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2010
    Could you explain what you mean by 'definition query'?

In the v12 beta you can assign a group to layers in the Control Center by selecting them then right-clicking and selecting the option to set the group. Layers with the same group name will be grouped together and collapsable.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • phxdwl
    phxdwl Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2010
    Definition query example
    I was given a point shp file that has over 3000 points, and then was told that 5 of them were the “important ones” that needed to be shown on the map. I would like to only show those 5.
    I could just select those 5 and make a new data set but I would like to stay linked to the dataset that my gis group maintains.
    Also I could add a attribute to the table to set the display from, but this dataset is often updated from the client and just replaced on the lan so that would not work.
    In arc map I can set a definition query, to only show the objects with specific values.
    In arc map it looks something like this.
    "POINT_NUM" = '410' OR "POINT_NUM" = '1068' OR "POINT_NUM" = '372' OR "POINT_NUM" = '803' OR "POINT_NUM" = '789'
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2010
    I would suggest using the Search->Search by Vector data menu command to find the points with the desired numbers one at a time and edit them to use a particular point feature type (either built-in or custom). You can then use the point filter settings on the Vector Display tab of the Configuration dialog to turn off the type assigned to the other points (likely 'Unknown Point Type'), leaving just those you edited.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • phxdwl
    phxdwl Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2010
    this will not modify the original shp file in any way and hold the symbology if the file is replaced? if so this should work thanks.
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2010
    That is correct, this only modifies what is already loaded into Global Mapper, it does not modify the data on disk at all.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com