Global Mapper v25.0

Creating Lowrance maps from MP file

Dirk
Dirk Global Mapper User
edited August 2011 in Vector Data
Hello all,
i have a large map already in use created with gpsmapedit but there are some flaws to the map due to the limitaions of that proggy. Since i was spending weeks to create it i was wondering if Globalmapper can help me out on those limitations.
I have a MP file which displays quite nice on my Elite 5. I imported that into Globalmapper and got 90% unknown stuff. Converting some lines, polys and points to something i thought GM knows does not alter the output... unfortunately. :confused:
I am very familiar with the Garmin map stuff and already looked at the tutorial but it did not really help me.
Is there anyone who has the same problems or can give me some clues to get a working map ?

Cheers
Dirk

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2010
    Dirk,

The Lowrance map creation is very limited in comparison to what you can get for Garmin units with a MP file and cGPSMapper. Are your features coming in as unknown types when pulled into Global Mapper or is the generated Lowrance file that is the issue? If you want to post the MP file or email it to support@globalmapper.com and want to point out a feature that isn't converting as expected I can take a look and see why.

Also, what version of Global Mapper are you using?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Dirk
    Dirk Global Mapper User
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the fast reply!
    Since i am using the trial version of GM (version11.02) i cannot actually see the results on the simulator or Elite itself. Upon loading the MP file every point, line or polygon is an unknown type.
    I wonder what feature types Global Mapper supports and is able to convert to LCM format.
    I send you a sample so you can take a look at it.

Dirk
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2010
    Dirk,

Looking at your MP file the 'Type' values that it contains don't correspond to any Garmin types as I would expect in a MP file. In fact I can't determine what type system the values are supposed to correspond to as they don't seem to match the Lowrance types either. For example, there is what appears to be a road feature (based on other attributes) named 'Ostseeküsten RFW' that has a type value of 0x42 and is also marked as a marine feature. I would expect roads to first of all not be marine features and second of all to have a type value between 0x01 and 0x0C. There is no MP type code of 0x42 listed anywhere. Do you know where the type values in the MP file are coming from?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Dirk
    Dirk Global Mapper User
    edited July 2010
    Hello Mike,
    all of the points refer to Lowrance. Running that map in an simulator should give you a clean little marine map with depth contours, submerged rocks, buoys and land.
    Attached you'll find a list of all the features used in this map and they all work on my Lowrance.
    As i told you this mp file was created with gpsmapedit and some additional features like soundings would be very appreciated by me :)
    Is there a list of usable features that Global Mapper can produce for Lowrance maps ?
    Converting all the different items would be a pain with the original map which is quite big ... but would be worth while.

Cheers
    Dirk
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2010
    Dirk,

I have integrated the Lowrance type list into the MP import in Global Mapper so those Lowrance types should now get translated on import and generate useful Global Mapper types and MP_TYPE attributes (these should export to Lowrance LCM files as well). I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • brunoaduarte
    brunoaduarte Global Mapper User
    edited August 2011
    Hello, i need to create a BRAZILIAN map for the LOWRANCE ENDURA OUTBACK GPS device. Is it possible with this software ? Is there a tutorial on how to do that ?

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2011
    You can load vector data in many formats in Global Mapper, then export to a Lowrance LCM format file using the File->Export Vector Data menu command. Then copy the map to your SD card on your unit and you should be able to display them there.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • brunoaduarte
    brunoaduarte Global Mapper User
    edited August 2011
    Hi Mike, thank you.

I'm newbie on this and still didn't understood how it works.
    Here's what happens:
    - My lowrance GPS device shows nothing on the screen here, it's all empty, i'm in Brazil, and it has only USA maps.
    - I want to get the GoogleMaps satellite images from my city and create a Lowrance Map file , so i can see the satellite images on my GPS device.

Is it possible ? Is there a step-by-step ?

Thanks again
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2011
    The Lowrance LCM creator is only for creating custom vector maps, not imagery. I'm not aware of a way to get custom imagery onto a Lowrance unit, but perhaps someone else here knows if this is possible like it is on some Garmin units?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com