Global Mapper v25.0

Map Registration

Hydro
Hydro Global Mapper User
edited July 2010 in Technical Support
How can I register a tiff file in the correct datum and projection and hemisphere. From information I have the tiff file is on mercator projection, WGS84 datum and in the southern hemisphere but every time I try to apply the information it places the map in the northern hemisphere.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2010
    Are you loading the TIFF and just being prompted to select a projection? If so, are you sure the projection is Mercator and not UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator)? Can you provide some sample coordinates from the file and what projection/datum was specifically indicated for it?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Hydro
    Hydro Global Mapper User
    edited July 2010
    You are right I am loading the Tiff and then it asks for the projection etc. The area I am looking at is 44S 176deg 40'W. It is a tiff of a nautical chart and it states the projection is Mercator and the datum is WGS84.

I have tried bringing it in with UTM zone 1S but that then says the co-ordinates are out of range in the bottom right corner

Hope this helps.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2010
    Can you post the TIFF file and any accompanying files (or email them to support@globalmapper.com) so that I can take a look? Just because the map says it was originally created in Mercator doesn't mean that it hasn't since been reprojected to something else so the coordinates associated with the TIFF file could be anything. I can probably figure it out if I can see the file and coordinates.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com