Global Mapper v25.0

Importing DOQQ as a SID File

paulp575
paulp575 Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited June 2010 in Raster Data
I am trying to get a mosaic of some of Oregon's DOQQs into GM v11.02.

While the TIFFs that have associated TFW files import correctly, I can not get several SID files to import to the correct position!

I've even tried to import just the SID file and it's displaying at the wrong point! For example., one of the SDW files consists of the following:

This is associated with the o45117h8 DOQQ.

The DOOQ should be importing within 45 deg W 117 Deg N.
After importing if I hover the cursor over the DOQQ, it shows to be located around 13 deg N 103 deg W.

When importing, GM asked me about the projection to which I respond UTM Zone 11 NAD27.
If I try UTM Zone 11 NAD83 or WGS84, I get the same error.

Help! I'm confused!

And thanks,

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2010
    Paul,

The coordinates in that world file are not UTM, but something else, like a State Plane projection with an Oregon zone, or the Oregon Lambert projection (see http://libweb.uoregon.edu/map/map_section/map_projection.html for a description of that projection).

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • paulp575
    paulp575 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2010
    Paul,

The coordinates in that world file are not UTM, but something else, like a State Plane projection with an Oregon zone, or the Oregon Lambert projection (see http://libweb.uoregon.edu/map/map_section/map_projection.html for a description of that projection).

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support

Thank you for your response.

So what can I do?
    It's not that important to have this DOQQ as it would be on the edge of the mosaic!
    Can it be reprojected?
    If so, I'm afraid I do not understand how that's done as I've never done a reprojection before..

Thanks,
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2010
    Paul,

You can absolutely load the file in the right location, you just have to select the correct projection/datum for the file when you load it so that it is properly placed. You may need to check with the provider of the file to get the correct projection to use, but I'm guessing it is a State Plane/Oregon (NAD27 or NAD83) projection or the Oregon Lambert projection, so just try those and see if one of those works to properly position the file.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • paulp575
    edited June 2010

You can absolutely load the file in the right location, you just have to select the correct projection/datum for the file when you load it so that it is properly placed. You may need to check with the provider of the file to get the correct projection to use, but I'm guessing it is a State Plane/Oregon (NAD27 or NAD83) projection or the Oregon Lambert projection, so just try those and see if one of those works to properly position the file.

I checked with the Oregon web site where I got the download from and it says:
    COORDINATE REFERENCE SYSTEM DESCRIPTION

Projection LAMBERT CONIC CONFORMAL
    Datum NAD83
    Units INTERNATIONAL FEET, 3.28084 (.3048 Meters)
    Spheroid GRS1980

http://gis.oregon.gov/DAS/EISPD/GEO/coordination/projections/projections.shtml#Oregon_Lambert_Projection

When I try to import the DOQQ into GM, I do see a "Lambert Conformal Conic". I select that and the NAD83, but the DOQQ is still loading in the wrong place!

When I select State Plane, I see "Oregon North (FIPS 3601)" and "Oregon South (FIPS 3602)"

Again importing using either of those 2 doesn't get it right either :confused:

Is it possible the GM doesn't have the correct Projection so I can't properly import this DOQQ?

I really do appreciate all you help on attempting to get this imported,
  • Frank2
    Frank2 Super Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Hi paulp575.

In order for the projection to work as desired, all parameters and the units (meters, feet, international feet) have to be set correctly. The easiest way to do that is to notice that the reference page you gave lists the EPSG code of 2992. When Global Mapper asks you for the projection, choose "Init from EPSG...", and enter in 2992. Pay attention to how the units & parameters all changed from the defaults. Press OK, and bingo, it's in the right place on the planet :)
  • paulp575
    edited June 2010
    Frank2 wrote: »
    Hi paulp575.

In order for the projection to work as desired, all parameters and the units (meters, feet, international feet) have to be set correctly. The easiest way to do that is to notice that the reference page you gave lists the EPSG code of 2992. When Global Mapper asks you for the projection, choose "Init from EPSG...", and enter in 2992. Pay attention to how the units & parameters all changed from the defaults. Press OK, and bingo, it's in the right place on the planet :)

Didn't work!
    When I clicked on the "Init From EPSG" button a dialog box opened.
    I entered "2992" (without the quotes) and clicked OK.
    Error dialog box appears stating "Unable to determine projection or datum from EPSG code."

I click "OK and am returned to the "Select Projection" dialog box, but no parameters have changed!

Sorry about all this,
  • Frank2
    Frank2 Super Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Which exact version are you using? It should work with the current version (11.02).
  • paulp575
    edited June 2010
    Frank2 wrote: »
    Which exact version are you using? It should work with the current version (11.02).

Version 11.02
    Build Time: Mar 12 2010 20:04:26
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2010
    Try downloading and installing the latest v11 build from the Download Trial link at http://www.globalmapper.com to update your installation, then the EPSG code should work for the Oregon Lambert projection.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • paulp575
    edited June 2010
    Try downloading and installing the latest v11 build from the Download Trial link at http://www.globalmapper.com to update your installation, then the EPSG code should work for the Oregon Lambert projection.

Yes, that update worked!
    So far all the SIDs that I'm importing are working.
    Just going to have to be very careful to find out what the EPSG is for any SIDs!

Thanks for all you help with this!