Global Mapper v25.0

3D profile on vector line

iaorana
iaorana Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited June 2010 in Vector Data
Hi Mike

Is it possible to get a 3D profile only with the elevation of vertices of a line.

Thanks
Iaorana

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2010
    Yes, to do this bring up the path profile of a selected line with the Digitizer Tool, then on the Options menu of the Path Profile dialog, select the Specify Sample Count/Spacing Distance option, then select the option to Sample Elevations at Profile Vertices/Endpoints Only.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • iaorana
    iaorana Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2010
    Hi Mike
    Thanks but I stiill have problems.
    I have points of a runway with one attribute of elevation called Altitude_N
    1-When I draw the line using these points, the vertices don't get the elevation even if in option of points layer I defined to get elevation attribute with Altitude_N
    So my line vertices has no elevation.
    I can export in Ascii and reimport as line but it's not so nice.
    2- When I have this line with the designated vertices how can I get the profile. I need to use these vertices.

Thanks
    iaorana
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2010
    So you are setting the elevation attribute for the layer to be the Altitude_N attribute on the options dialog for the layer and elevation values aren't being applied to the line vertices? Is it possible that your line vertices already have elevation values associated with them so the attribute doesn't matter? If you can post the file I can take a look.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • iaorana
    edited June 2010
    Mike

My first problem is when I draw the line, the line doesn't get the altitude of the point.
    In second, i can't get the profile unless I load a DEM.
    If I do a DEM at altitude 0 the 3D path profile is not according to the right elevation because my vertices have no altitude.
    If I export-import in CSV vertices have elevation and I have the profile but vertices are still at 0 and not on the profile.

In brief, drawing line on the points don't get the elevation value so need to export import. Then profile doesn't put the vertices on profile

Iaorana
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2010
    It looks like your CSV file has the proper Z values as does your imported line. If I show a 3D path profile from that selected line feature, I get the attached profile, showing both the 0 elevation from the DEM as well as the elevation values from the line vertices.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • iaorana
    edited June 2010
    Thanks Mike but I still don't understand why when I draw the line It doesn't take the elevation of the points. Because of that I need to export import in CSV
    Regards
    Iaorana
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2010
    Do you mean that when you draw a new line with the Digitizer Tool you want it to get the elevation value to use from a point feature at each clicked vertex location, or from underlying terrain source? Currently when you draw a line in the Digitizer Tool you would have to manually add elevation values, there isn't any way to obtain those directly from point features.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • iaorana
    edited June 2010
    That's exactly it from the points. It's strange because when you draw area you get the elevation as far as I remember.

Iaorana
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2010
    Drawing an area will behave exactly the same as lines as far as not adding per-vertex elevations. You have to manually add them to line or area features.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com