Global Mapper v25.0

Plotting geophysical data

Hunter Geophysics
Hunter Geophysics Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited May 2010 in Technical Support
Hi Mike, et al.,

I understand that geophysical data plots can be displayed if imported as an image file of the data already plotted, and the data can also be imported directly as an XYZ (or equivalent) data file with the actual geophysical value taken as an elevation attribute... but I wonder if Global Mapper can take the XYZ file and instead of using the geophysics data to create a DEM, can it instead actually plot the data in 2D with the colour- or grey- scale used to represent geophysical values rather than (or in addition to) elevation data?

Ta,

Dave

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2010
    Dave,

If you have the latest v11.02 build, you can import your XYZ data as point only (with the Z coming in as an ELEVATION attribute), then you can go to the Point Styles tab of the Options dialog for the layer and setup styling for the points based on that ELEVATION attribute. This will allow you to color each point (use a custom dot or square symbol with the desired color) based on elevation value.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Hunter Geophysics
    Hunter Geophysics Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited May 2010
    Mike,

That is precisely what I am trying to avoid (i.e. I don't want to use the geophysical value as the elevation data (as I want to overlay the geophysics data over a real DEM). Is that possible?

For instance, in the attached screenshot, I have imported a surfer grid of an xyz data file. The problem is that the units are assumed to be elevation... is there a way of changing the unit of measurement from metres (m) to millisiemen-per-metres (mS/m) in the scale itself, to the left of the screen?

Thanks,

Dave.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2010
    David,

If you just want to change units in the elevation legend, simply right-click on the elevation legend and select the option to specify the unit text. You can then make it whatever you want.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Hunter Geophysics
    Hunter Geophysics Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited May 2010
    Learn something new everyday. :) Thanks.