Global Mapper v25.0

Shift-Click Unwanted Jump Bug

Roger Edrinn
Roger Edrinn Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited April 2011 in Bug Report
So I've got a mega dataset in the Search Vector Data dialog, so large I cannot see the entire selection in a large window. No problem, click the first item, scroll to the last > press shift and click to select the range. EXCEPT this #$@&% bug jumps immediately back to the first line as soon as I press Shift. Curse-Curse!!!

But, as if the curse-curse helped, the second time I press select > scroll > Shift-click, the range is correctly selected.

PLEASE fix this bug.

An annoying trait of GM which also needs a fix but isn't a "bug" rather a PITA. After I've selected the range, I now edit the Feature Name, BUT as soon as I click OK, the search begins again and I've lost my place is this mega list. Please create a suppress re-search button or something to that effect.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2010
    I am unable to reproduce the Shift+Click bug, but in any case you can just press the Select All button to select everything if you want.

I did go ahead and update the search dialog to not automatically redo the search if a name or attribute value is changed for a feature. So you now would need to manually do the search again to update the results. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited May 2010
    I am unable to reproduce the Shift+Click bug, but in any case you can just press the Select All button to select everything if you want.
    I don't want to select everything, that's the point.

Do this:

Open a nice large TIGER file with edges only, 50,000 vectors should do nicely. Now open the Search Vector Data dialog and set Feature Type with a "int*" criteria. That will find all Interstates and Feature Name will be in alpha order. Assuming you selected Kansas TIGER, then select the first instance of I-70 and scroll ~2000 lines to the last instance. Now press Shift and watch the search dialog jump to the first line, negating all that scrolling.

The point of the above is to prove the bug, I to can think of easier ways.

While you're at it:
    If I use S&R to find all I- 70 and replace with I-70, S&R will NOT recognize the iconization of I-70 whereas the Search Vector Data dialog will. Can S&R be made to do this?
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2010
    I am unable to reproduce your issue with the Shift+Click problem. When I shift+click to create a large selection the results list stays right where I clicked, it never scrolls back up to the beginning. What version of Windows are you using? The behavior would actually be part of the standard Windows list control used, so maybe you have a different version of those controls on your machine that I do and the behavior is different.

I did update the search-and-replace to automatically recognize and iconize road name text. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited May 2010
    I'm using Win XP SP2, not sure where to look to be more specific.

The shift issue occurs after each select and edit. I suspect the re-search re-sets the condition. I'll know soon. Also, if I thought to Shift before scroll, then it does not happen. It does not matter if I scroll with the mouse wheel or the side scroll bar.

Thanks for looking into this.
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2010
    I still can't get this to reproduce, whether I hold down Shift at the start or not. All that I do is left click the start of the selection, then scroll to the end, then Shift+Click the end. Everything between the start and end is selected and the list doesn't scroll at all when I do this. I am also on XP.

Since you have a work-around for your machine (holding Shift to start), I would suggest doing that.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited May 2010
    You mention holding Shift, No-No.

Left click to start a selection, scroll to end, only then press shift. As soon as shift is pressed the problem goes away, either you jump back to line one or not depending on the sequence.

Now that you've added a suppress search, I doubt this will reappear. I've downloaded the new file and will test in a few days and post here.

Many thanks.
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited May 2010
    Just did a series of tests.

S&R puts Shields on roads as appropriate
    The Search Vector Data no longer re-searches when I edit a field(s)
    I could not reproduce the Shift Jump bug.

Doesn't get much better than that.

Many thanks. :)
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited May 2010
    While I rarely get the Shift-Jump error, it has not gone away completely. But here's another similar jump bug.

I'm using the Search Vector Data dialog, and I'm searching a large data set by Feature Type for lines, with Feature Name in alpha order. Then I double click on a line to bring the line into view in the main window. I have the Feature Info Tool selected and I want to select an area surrounding the line. I Press "P" and as soon as I do, the data set jumps to the first line and I lose my editing place. Why the Jump?

More info: I can suppress the jump if I click the Info Tool before I Press P, otherwise it Jumps every time. May also happen with the Edit tool and P.
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2010
    This happens when the search dialog still has focus, so the P key press goes to the dialog and scrolls the results (not quite sure yet why that is happening). If you first click in the main map view to get it focus and not the search dialog, then you can do a click + P that will be directed to the map view and not the search dialog and you shouldn't get your results scrolled.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited April 2011
    This happens when the search dialog still has focus, so the P key press goes to the dialog and scrolls the results (not quite sure yet why that is happening). If you first click in the main map view to get it focus and not the search dialog, then you can do a click + P that will be directed to the map view and not the search dialog and you shouldn't get your results scrolled.
    Hi Mike,

This jump behavior with "P" now happens with "A" (v12) also, and the only cure I've found is to shift focus from the dialog to the map by clicking the map before pressing "A".

Any hope of a cure?

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2011
    This isn't really a bug, I would expect the keypress to go to whichever window has focus, so if the search window has focus the key press goes to the search window so it can handle it to do the appropriate operation there, like scroll the results. If the map window has focus then it gets the key press so it can handle it. This is standard Windows behavior and it would be confusing if a non-focused Window got text input (it would be like you typing text and it going in a completely different one than what you have your cursor focus in).

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited April 2011
    Understand, except.

While it is a Windows dialog, so to is the main GM map a Windows "envelope." In that context GM has special key strokes to do special things. That implies key stroke capture. So why is it not possible to capture key strokes in the search dialog and do/not special things?

Just a thought.
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2011
    In this case the search list should be using the key stroke to scroll to the first list item starting with the letter pressed, or at least that is what the search list should do by default if it has focus. If those key presses were ignored or sent instead to the non-focused map view then you would lose some functionality.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com