Global Mapper v25.0

GlobalMapper Hangup after 2 hours converting

DSW
DSW Global Mapper User
edited April 2010 in Raster Data
Hi,

I have loaded 1 ecw of 25gb and 1 ecw of 3 gb, i try to use the smaller one as overlay, and then make a new ecw of it. I did it by drawing a selectbox and i estimate the output will be max 10gb large.

Now i have tried three times to export the selection as ecw and one time as jpeg2000, all tries sort of end in an hangup after about two hours. You still see the program working but after the two hours the estimated end time starts to rise and rise and it seems globalmapper almost stands still. I have let it go for more than 24 hours but it almost freezes and nothing happens anymore.

Is this a bug?? Does anyone know how to fix it?:confused:

Please advise...

My system is winxp 32bit, 4gb mem, 2 xeon quadcores (little stupid with this OS, i know, but it's a work pc, not mine), 2x 150gb sas harddrive. GlobalMapper version 11.02.

Dennis

Comments

• Matt
    Matt Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2010
    You might try to first crop the larger image down and export the crop by itself. Then add the overlay to the smaller cropped image instead of the huge source image.

Matt
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2010
    Dennis,

I wonder if there is a bad section in one of your input files and the export is hanging up when it hits that bad part. Can you try using the Gridding tab when exporting to break your export up into smaller chunks and see if maybe it dies on a particular grid tile?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • DSW
    DSW Global Mapper User
    edited April 2010
    Hi,

@Matt: thx for your reply. I tried cropping, but no difference. thx anyway.

@Mike: Also checked for bad sectors, but can't find evidence for that. i think it is related with the fact that the layer on top is cut out by feathering on the municipality border. It seems when globalmapper enters an area which is featherd, the problem occurs.

@Mike: Can you find out if this is the problem or if it is a bug?

or is it 32bit related?
    have no 64bit machine here to check it out.

Dennis
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2010
    Dennis,

Ah, I hadn't realized that you were also feathering the output. Doing feather blending can tremendously slow down an export, with the amount of slowdown depending heavily on the complexity of the feathering boundary. This is because when feathering for each exported pixel in the feathered area the pixel distance to the feathering polygon has to be calculated, which can be very slow when down millions of times.

How many vertices does your feather polygon have? Is it possible for you to simplify the boundary using the Digitizer Tool to remove some vertices that don't significantly add to the shape, then try again? Especially when feather blending having a precisely defined boundary is not very important as the edges will be blurred anyway.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • DSW
    DSW Global Mapper User
    edited April 2010
    @Mike:

Hi,

Thanks for your explanation. Is there maybe a way to cut out the image without feathering, so the export would succeed?

Please advise.

Dennis
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2010
    Dennis,

If you just need to cut the image and not feather it, you can simply select to crop the layer that you need to crop to the crop polygon on the Cropping tab of the Options dialog for the layer. Just cropping will be faster than feather blending, although this can be slow as well. If you want to crop the entire export you can simply select to crop to the selected area on the Export Bounds tab of the export dialog.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com