Re-project NOAA images?

WHM70
WHM70 Global Mapper User
edited March 2015 in Technical Support
Hi, another NooB question I'm afraid.

I'd like to use some images from here:

NOAA GOES Weather Satellite

http://goes.gsfc.nasa.gov/goeseast-lzw/atlantic/vis/1004051415G12I01.tif

Is it possible to reproject them in Global Mapper?

I've read a bit about the rectification system NOAA uses. It appears to use a .nav file which describes a the coordinates for each pixel. But I haven't seen anything that looks like the name of a projection type.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

W

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2010
    The link that you provided didn't work, but you can load and rectify any TIFF file in Global Mapper just by using the File->Open Data File menu command. Once you have a properly positioned image, you can simply change the view/export projection on the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog to reproject, then use the File->Export Raster menu to export to a new file in the desired format.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • nlneilson
    nlneilson Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2014
    Hi Mike, it has been several years.

1)
    (1)The link that you provided didn't work,

(2) but you can load and rectify any TIFF file in Global Mapper just by using the File->Open Data File menu command. Once you have a properly positioned image, you can simply change the view/export projection on the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog to reproject, then use the File->Export Raster menu to export to a new file in the desired format.

(1) Doing a google search for NOAA Charts brings up many links that are invalid.
    Here is a link I have found to be useful: Adding Navigation Charts to Maps in Saga: KAP, BSB, S-57
    From there you can follow links like this: https://sites.google.com/site/nauticalfree/

I was able to download 18725(1).zip and their Nautical Chart Reprojector

The KAP files can be viewed in OpenEV. I could not find a way to get or format to .tif which I am familiar with from working with for the FAA Charts
    How to tile the NOAA Charts to be used in the NASA WorldWind apps. Several are interested in this,; here is a link to a NASA WWJ forum thread: s-57 and s-63 - Page 2

possibly a step by step example with explainations.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Geofence
    Geofence Global Mapper User
    edited March 2015
    Hi, I would like to reproject a TIFF file from KKJ3 (Finnish coordinate system) to KKJ4. I was only able to find KKJ (which is presumable KKJ3 or YKJ), not KKJ4. I am using Global Mapper 13.1. Is it possible to do what I want to do in Global Mapper?

Thank you,