Global Mapper v25.0

Importing ".skp" Google Sketchup files

Bogdan
Bogdan Global Mapper User
edited April 2010 in Vector Data
Hi,

I'm working on GIS project related to a wind farm and I'd like to know how/if I can import and display a 3d object ( like .skp files ) to a specified location into Global Mapper 11.02.

This would help me a lot, if this feature is working.
Please let me know if this feature works and if not, is there any other way I could import 3d objects to specific locations?

Many thanks in advance,

B

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2010
    B,

In v11.02 you should be able to load Google .skp files and display them. If you need to reposition the layer, simply right-click on it in the Control Center and rectify the layer by providing control points. Not that only some of the information from the .skp file can be utilized, things like textures will not be displayed in Global Mapper.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • aburnett
    aburnett Global Mapper User
    edited April 2010
    I'm trying to open a Sketchup file created with Sketchup 7.1

It is a simple object, and georeferenced with Sketchup's capture from Google Earth feature.

But I get the following error message:

Error downloading file.
    Download of file failed with status code 404.
    ViewerUtils.cpp - 1763
    Version: v11.02
    Build Time: Mar 31 2010 16:49:38

I tried exporting to DAE and to KMZ, and opening those but get similar messages.

Are files from Sketchup 7.1 supported?
  • aburnett
    aburnett Global Mapper User
    edited April 2010
    It appears the error is in the 64bit edition. Just tried it in 32bit and it does open Sketchup files in the correct location.
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2010
    We do not have a native 64-bit version of the Sketchup reading libraries, so import of Sketchup files only works in the 32-bit version of Global Mapper.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kentman
    kentman Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2010
    Mike,

I.m trying to load .skp files but keep getting the error message "The SketchUp library couldn't be loaded" - how do I get the libraries?
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2010
    Normally the libraries would download automatically in the 32-bit build, but if not you can manually download the file at http://www.globalmapper.com/InstallFiles32/SketchupFiles.zip and extract the contents into your Global Mapper 11 install folder, then you should be able to load the libraries and .skp files.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kentman
    kentman Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2010
    Mike,

Done that and restarted GM but still get the same error - could not load the library - SketchUpReader.dll is in my Program Files\Global Mapper11 folder.
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2010
    Do you have the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Global Mapper installed? Note that the Sketchup libraries are only available for the 32-bit version and there is not a 64-bit version available.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • jeorjethomas
    jeorjethomas Global Mapper User
    edited April 2010
    I have been trying for the last two days to import my clean vector illustrator people into Google sketchup. Sketchup doesn't accept many types of files but so far I have sort of worked it out.

It accepts ACAD files but discards the color information

It accepts .png files but they are not vector and also cannot be made to always be faceing front like the sketchup people. They also cannot be "exploded."

These two methods are pretty lame. Does anybody out there know a way to bring vector files into Sketchup.
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2010
    I'm not a Sketchup user, but since it's a Google product you might try exporting a vector KML/KMZ file and see if it likes that format better, since it's also a Google format.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • imagecatcher
    imagecatcher Global Mapper User
    I know this is old but... I have v19 64bit. I am trying to drop a quary crushing plant skp file into GM with no success. Is it possible? the 3d model does not have any position coordinates, only scale measurments.
    Thank you
    Troy