Global Mapper v25.0

ESRI ascii grids Globalmapper version 9

frozencoast
frozencoast Global Mapper User
edited February 2010 in Bug Report
I am trying to import a 5GB ESRI ascii grid file into GlobalMapper version 9.02. I get an error message:
Unable to load overlay <filename>
An unknown error occurred while accessing an unamed file
OverlayFactory.cpp -1987
Build time March 17 2008 20:54:48

I am in the process ofpurchasing V11. Is this a bug in an older version that has been fixed? I also recentl encountered problems with exporting to the ESRI ascii grid format in this version.
Thanks

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2010
    You might have just run out of memory. If you have 64-bit Windows, then using the 64-bit v11 build would provide you with access to a lot more memory so that they file can be loaded. Note that any v11 purchase will provide a license that works with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. You might also try just downloading and installing the latest v11 trial from the Download Trial links at http://www.globalmapper.com and see if the file will load (if not let me know what error you get now).

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • frozencoast
    edited February 2010
    I am using win XP 32 bit.
    I restarted the computer and had the same error with v9. I downloaded v11 and got a different error - the rather cryptic: "unknown error loading file" error. I am running this on a Dell Precision M4300 with 3.5 GB RAM.
    Thanks,
    Steve
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2010
    Steve,

I'm guessing that you are running out of memory trying to load a file that large. Do you happen to have a machine with 64-bit Windows available that you could try the 64-bit version of Global Mapper v11 on to see if it works?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • frozencoast
    edited February 2010
    No I am afraid I do not have access to a 64bit system at the moment. Software gives me the error immediately - it does not appear to be trying to load, then failing. Does that make sense? Does GM check the memory first?
    Steve
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2010
    Steve,

Yes, Global Mapper will read the header of the file first to get the size, then try and allocate a buffer to hold the contents of the file. If that fails because you are out of memory, you will then get an error before anything else is read from the file.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • frozencoast
    edited February 2010
    It sounds like I am out of luck unless I can find a 64 bit version of windows. Thanks for the assistance. It would be nice to have a more helpful error message though.
    Steve
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2010
    Steve,

I agree, the error message is not very good. I think I will take a look at this in the next few days and see about not only improving the error message, but allow decompressing very large Arc ASCII Grids to a gridded file on disk that can be read on the fly. Once I can do this then much larger grids could be loaded in the 32-bit version. I'll let you know if I get it working.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • frozencoast
    edited February 2010
    That would be fantastic - I will check back in a few days!.
    Steve
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2010
    Steve,

I have completed updating the Arc ASCII Grid export to use temporary files for very large data sets, which should allow basically any size of grid to load without excessive memory usage. Once you have the current v11 trial installed, you then just need to get the latest build to try the new functionality. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v11 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • frozencoast
    edited February 2010
    Wow Mike - hard to beat that kind of service. Thanks alot.
    Steve