Global Mapper v25.0

Zoom on Opening Workspace File

paulp575
paulp575 Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited January 2010 in Technical Support
Quite often I start GM v11.01 by opening a workspace file.

Problem is every time I do this I have to reset the zoom. While zooming using the zoom icon in the toolbar works - somewhat - many times I have to use what I call incremental zooming, i.e., using the Ctrl key plus the plus or minus key to zoom into exactly the zoom level I need.

Is there a way to save the zoom setting so the next time the workspace file is opened, it is at the same zoom lever when the file was last saved?

Thanks,

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2010
    A workspace file should already remember the zoom the last time that the workspace was saved. So long as you save the workspace file at the zoom that you want it should pop right back up at the same view when you reload the workspace.

You can also save multiple named views under the View menu if you want to keep around a collection of views.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • paulp575
    paulp575 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2010
    A workspace file should already remember the zoom the last time that the workspace was saved. So long as you save the workspace file at the zoom that you want it should pop right back up at the same view when you reload the workspace.

You can also save multiple named views under the View menu if you want to keep around a collection of views.

I'm glad you said "should" because it's not working exactly that way.

Here's the steps I took:

1. Clicked on File - Save and saved the workspace file
    2. Clicked on View - Save Current View
    3. Exited the program

When I click on the workspace file in Windows Explorer, the program opens the workspace file, but the zoom is not where it was last at!

However, if I open the program first and then select "Load Workspace" from the File menu and select the workspace file (using Windows Explorer as oppoosed to selecting it from the list of recently opened workspace files at the bottom of the File menu), it is at the correct zoom level!

Odd behavior!
    At least now I know how to open the workspace file and have it start at the correct zoom level.

Thanks,
  • STH
    STH Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2010
    What if you reverse the order, ie:

1. Clicked on View - Save Current View
    2. Clicked on File - Save and saved the workspace file
    3. Exited the program

Does this help?
  • paulp575
    edited January 2010
    STH wrote: »
    What if you reverse the order, ie:

1. Clicked on View - Save Current View
    2. Clicked on File - Save and saved the workspace file
    3. Exited the program

Does this help?

No because I forgot to include that in my initial list of steps.
    It should have read:

1. Clicked on File - Save and saved the workspace file just in case of some problem with the next step!
    2. Clicked on View - Save Current View
    3. Clicked on File - Save and (again) saved the workspace file
    4. Exited the program by clicking on the red "X" in the top right corner of the window

Thanks for bringing my omission to my attention.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2010
    I took a look and discovered that if you load a workspace file with the File->Open Data File menu command instead of the File->Load Workspace menu command then the zoom from the workspace file is not maintained. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with this fixed for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • paulp575
    edited January 2010
    I took a look and discovered that if you load a workspace file with the File->Open Data File menu command instead of the File->Load Workspace menu command then the zoom from the workspace file is not maintained. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with this fixed for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

YES! That solved the problem. Now I can open it using the Load Workspace, the Open Data File(s), or even by clicking on the workspace file if it is listed on the bottom of the File menu.

Unfortunately it does not fix the problem if you open a workspace file by clicking on the workspace file from the Windows Explorer. That option would be nice, but I can live with the current solution.

Thanks again for your help!

I do have a problem with having to constantly open the Overlay Control Center, but I'll address that in another thread!