Global Mapper v25.0

pdf import displays blank image

ScottGibson
ScottGibson Global Mapper User
edited April 2010 in Technical Support
I'm having a weird problem on one of my computers, but not on another computer. When I import certain pdfs to rectify them, no image is displayed. The problem pdfs are map images.

On a second computer, Global Mapper has no trouble displaying the pdfs, so it probably isn't Global Mapper or the problem pdfs. Furthermore, the problem pdfs display fine in Adobe Reader. And to make it even more confusing, other pdfs import fine into Global Mapper on the problem machine.

Any help with diagnosing this issue would be appreciated.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2009
    Can you tell me what version and build date of Global Mapper you are running on the machine this doesn't work on (you can get this off of the Help->About dialog)?

Does the problem computer perhaps have less available memory that the one it does work on?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ScottGibson
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for the reply.

The build date is Dec 26, 2009 and version 11.01. It is running on WinXP, SP 3. I updated the build only on the non-working version in an attempt to solve the problem.

Both computers have the same motherboard, but the problem computer has more ram (3 GB vs 1 GB on the computer that renders the pdf fine). They also have different video cards, both based on ATI.

Is it possibly a missing dll or registry entry?
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2009
    This is very strange, I can't think of what the issue might be off the top of my head, especially since some PDF files display fine on the problem machine. My only thought is that perhaps there is a video driver issue causing the PDF to render improperly in the PDF library on the bad machine, although that is a long shot.

If you load the PDF on the good machine and export a new PDF from Global Mapper, will that file then load on the problem machine?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ScottGibson
    edited December 2009
    Ok, I have some new info...

The version of Global Mapper that worked was 11.00, so I decided to upgrade it to 11.01. After the upgrade, I got the same bad results, with blank images on certain pdfs. I'm checking further, but I think it may be a change in the pdf dll.
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2009
    Can you provide one of the PDF files that doesn't display in v11.01?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ScottGibson
    edited December 2009
    Ok, I attached one. It is unrectified (a normal pdf, not a geopdf).
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2009
    I was able to reproduce your issues with v11.01 (I just get a white square, whereas Acrobat shows a map). I have forwarded this onto our PDF library provider so that they can diagnose the problem in their library. Hopefully they'll have a fix soon unless they are on holiday.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ScottGibson
    edited January 2010
    Hi Mike, has there been any response from the pdf library provider? I rolled my Global Mapper back to 11.0 so I can do my work so it isn't super urgent. By the way, will your latest 11.01 build work if copied directly over an 11.0 build?
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2010
    I haven't heard anything from the PDF library provider. In fact that haven't even replied to my support request to indicate that they are even working on it.

You can just overwrite your v11.00 install with the latest v11.01 build and that should update it.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ScottGibson
    edited January 2010
    Mike,

I tried an experiment with overwriting GM11.0 with the latest 11.01 build, and it couldn't load the pdf library, which confirms a change in the library between the two builds. (I had previously confirmed that 11.01 works with geopdfs, so the library issued with 11.01 does load). I guess I'll wait for their fix :).
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2010
    We finally got a fix for this problem and now your PDF file loads fine. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Perry
    Perry Global Mapper User
    edited April 2010
    I’m having a somewhat similar problem with PFD files not showing (only showing a blank area). I’m using GM 11.02 build Apr 14, 2010.

I downloaded a number USGS 7 ½ minute quads from the USGS Store as GeoPDFs. When I have more than about 7 loaded, one or more will only display a blank area. If the blank map is moved up or down in Overlay Control I can see the blank area hiding or revealing parts of other maps due to the collar on the maps. It’s not one particular map…they will load fine by themselves or with fewer maps loaded (although I haven’t tried all possible combinations).
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2010
    I'm guessing what is happening is that your PDF files are taking up a lot of memory, and when you hit 7 of them your memory is low enough that the PDF library can't render them, so you get a white display. I would suggest using the File->Batch Convert/Reproject menu command to convert them to GeoTIFF files, then just load those. GeoTIFF files should require much less memory than PDF files.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com