Global Mapper v25.0

Is it possible to reduce the image size (10G) so big?

Nimbus
Nimbus Global Mapper User
edited December 2009 in Announcement and News
I have a raster image of 10 Giga ecw format.
I want to resample, download the size
What I do is go to:
File>export raster data>ecw> y select 1 pixel -1000 meters ( now is 1to 1)

Gridding tab: select “specify number of row and column”

Export bounds select a smaller area than is the need

Put a name on disk C

And the process starts but …freezes!

If you select an extremely small area to test the procedure works correctly!
But… when I select an area that is approximately 40% of original area (what I need), the process is frozen

Question: Is it possible to reduce the image size so big?

I use Global mapper v10.0
The PC is a Core2duo, 4 G ram, 90 G free space disk.

Thank you very much
Nimbus

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2009
    Nimbus,

There were several improvements made to large ECW exports during the v10 release series (and more in v11) to speed them up, so I would first suggest getting the latest v10 build to see if that helps. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Nimbus
    edited December 2009
    Dear Mike

At unzip the file, gives me a message: "Error starting the application because he was not lti_dsdk_dll.dll"
    However, I try to do the task operation w/ Global Mapper v10.00, without success.
    Thanks you very much
    Nimbus
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2009
    Did you extract the contents of the global_mapper10.zip file over your existing v10 installation? You need to do that as the .zip is just a patch and not a full install.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Nimbus
    edited December 2009
    Hi Mike

Yes , I did.
    I open ( unzip) the global_mapper10.zip file in C:\Program files\GlobalMapper10.
    Thank you again.
    Nimbus
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2009
    Nimbus,

There were likely some new DLLs added between what you had (v10.00) and the last v10.xx release (v10.02) that the patch doesn't have. First try downloading and installing the latest official v10 release from http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10_setup.exe, then apply the patch and see if that helps.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Nimbus
    edited December 2009
    Thanks again Mike
    I will tell you
    Nimbus
  • Nimbus
    edited December 2009
    Sorry Mike, the problem is still the same , with the same message.
    I try again to resample the image, but it doesn´t work.
    Very thanks!
    Nimbus
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2009
    Nimbus,

Can you try the latest v11 trial from http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_setup.exe (or http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_setup_64bit.exe if you have 64-bit Windows)? You can email me at support@globalmapper.com and I can provide you with a trial key to try the export.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Nimbus
    edited December 2009
    Hi Mike :-)
    The program ( v11.xx) responds in the same manner as was described in my first post.
    It freezes. If the area is very small it works well.
    Thank you very much for all the support. It was very good!
    Nimbus
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2009
    Nimbus,

How long do you let the process go before you abort it? It could just be that it is taking a while to read every tile that is needed for an entire export row when the progress could possible be updated. Also, when exporting the data is accessed at the highest detail level if when sub-sampling, so the export will still basically have to read through the entire file to do the export even if the final result only contains one out of every 1 million pixels.

Can you try leaving the export running say overnight to see if it is still at 0% or if it makes progress? The ECW export will tend to go in spurts, so it may stay at 0% for a while, then quickly run up a bit, then stick at the next number for a while.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Nimbus
    edited December 2009
    Hi Mike

Aja! :-) !
    I think I leave enough time, but...
    Ok, I'll let all night by the process
    many thanks
    Nimbus:)
  • Nimbus
    edited December 2009
    Hello :-)
    I left it up all night. The next morning he had not advanced. I left it working all day while reading a text(pdf) and still not moving. It freezes. I see no activity on the processor.
    Thank you very much
    Nimbus
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2009
    Nimbus,

Do you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows? If you have 64-bit, can you try the 64-bit version of Global Mapper from http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_setup_64bit.exe as it supports more memory.

Is there any way that you can provide the source file to me? I know it is 10 GB so this may be difficult, but if you have a fast internet connection you can FTP it to use at ftp.globalmapper.com using a username of 'upload' and a password of 'upload'.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Nimbus
    edited December 2009
    Hi Mike
    I do not have a system of 64-bits. (It is 32 )
    I will build a virtual machine and test XP-64. It takes me a few days.
    Sorry my connection speed is not fast enough to upload the image.(10G).
    Thanks you
    Nimbus
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2009
    Nimbus,

I have decided to attack this issue by making sub-sampled exports like yours use a lower resolution layer from the ECW rather than always pulling from the maximum resolution layer. This should speed things up quite a bit. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmappersoftware.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmappersoftware.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmappersoftware.com