Global Mapper v25.0

Group Policy support (especially registration code)

shannont
shannont Global Mapper User
edited November 2009 in Suggestion Box
We would appreciate Group Policy / ADM file support. There aren’t very many settings we want to customise – the main one by far is the registered user name and license key. (When we deploy the MSI file via Group Policy, we would like it to automatically be the registered version.)

All that would be required on the software side is to read a registry key such as HKCU\Software\Policies\GlobalMapper\RegKey or something to look for a registration key. (Perhaps one key for a user-name and another for a key?). Then, a matching ADM (or ADMX) file is written that corporate administrators use to make these registry settings though their organisation.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with Group Policy Administrative Templates, but they really do make life much easier for corporate types. If you've got any questions, let me know and I can explain things better.

We would really appreciate being able to deploy the Global Mapper MSI file without tweaking.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2009
    Global Mapper already stores the registration information in the registry. The values are 'HKCU\Software\Global Mapper\UserNameV11' and 'HKCU\Software\Global Mapper\RegKeyV11' (obviously the V11 part is different for each major version, so modify if needed). Can you use the Group Policy Administrative Templates to just write to those keys as part of your install?

Note that most other settings are stored in 'HKCU\Software\Global Mapper' as well. I can let you know where particular settings are if you want to add more settings.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • shannont
    shannont Global Mapper User
    edited November 2009
    Hi,

Sorry about the delay in replying. Yes, I appreciate that those keys are there and this isn't a major hassle. The only catch is that, with each major version, I would have to update/modify the ADM file as well as figuring out what the actual value written to the registry is (as it isn't simply the registraion key.)

It's a small thing, certainly. And it's not a big deal; but it's the one 'road block' that makes deploying Global Mapper slightly more complex than 'download the MSI and deploy it' - although I do admit it's not terribly hard.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2009
    The key name and value can't stay the name with different major versions as it is possible to have multiple different versions installed on the same system, so the registry key has to reflect which version a particular license name and key are for. What is stored in the registry should be exactly the license name for the UserNameVXX key and the license number (10-digit value) for RegKeyVXX.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com