Global Mapper v25.0

Export ECW failure

SteveW
SteveW Global Mapper User
edited January 2008 in Raster Data
I’ve had success exporting ECWs.
But my latest large project fails every time.

I was wondering if anyone has any problems.

The ECW I’m trying to create is a combination of the following.

Bottom Layer is an existing ECW (1 meter imagery, 1 to 1 compression, 11gig in size)

This is overlaid with nearly 300 quarter-meter urban data images (80 gig), several of which were modified in Photoshop with a mask (to help hide the seams between the high and low resolution imagery.)

The failure seems to be happening at the very end of the process, when the application should be writing out the final ECW file after 99% completion.

Trying to export ECW (1 to 1 compression) at 1/4 meter.

Thoughts?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2007
    Are you getting any kind of error message when it fails? Do you have enough disk space for the final result?

It is also possible that one of your source files has some corruption. You might try using the Gridding tab on export to break your export into a few smaller pieces to see if those complete successfully or if one fails. This would point to a small corrupt piece in one of the ECW files.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • SteveW
    edited December 2007
    I didn't write down the error...That was a huge mistake, though to be fair it didn't tell me specifically what the problem was.

I will free up additional Hard Drive Space (currently 40gig free) to something nearly as large as my source content. That should be enough???

And starting tomorrow night, will attempt to compress again.
    Previously, I had been able to create a 3meter 20 to 1 ECW of the same imagery.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2007
    It sounds like 40GB might not be nearly enough space if you are doing 1:1 compression (i.e. lossless). This will make the resulting file a lot larger than the combined results of the original files (unless they were also using 1:1 compression). If you used 20:1 compression, the resulting 1/4 meter resolution output file should be about 144 times as large as the 3 meter resolution output file.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • SteveW
    edited January 2008
    All my initial data was already 1:1
    Final output size was about 33.4gig

I cleaned up the Hard Drive to free up about 90gig before exporting the file.
    (all the source material was local.)

Thanks for the help Mike!!!