Global Mapper v25.0

Layer Concept

kentman
kentman Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited October 2009 in Technical Support
Hi Mike,

I have just visited another city and recorded my GPS tracklog for the journey in GM. I've saved the tracklog and it appears as 'User Defined Feature' in the layer control but when I export this as a MapInfo TAB/MAP it has none of the attributes that I can see when I view the vertices through the info tool in GM - can GM export the vertices data as attributes?

Kent

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2009
    Kent,

The MapInfo format doesn't have support (at least not that I know of) for storing per-vertex time stamp and elevation data, the former of which is required to provide the other information listed on the vertex dialog. That is all derived data. Really the only export formats in Global Mapper capable of storing all of the required data are the GPX (a standard format) and the Global Mapper Package format.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Bushman
    Bushman Global Mapper User
    edited October 2009
    There is simple workaround:
    Export tracklog in GPX format, than use free GPSBabel software to convert it in, for example, KML. You'll get file with your track as line and vertices, converted to separate points. Than you could use GlobalMapper to split points with their attributes to another separate file.

Mike, maybe it's possible to implement such a feature like generating set of points with attributes from line with attributed vertices in the future? Something like "Extract vertices with attributes from line"
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2009
    There is already an option in the Advanced Feature Creation section of the right-click menu of the Digitizer Tool to create point features from the vertices of selected line and area features. It currently keeps the elevation at attributes, but I will update it to also add the timestamp value.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2009
    I have completed updating the option to create points from the vertices of selected lines to also add a TIMESTAMP attribute for each created point if the selected line has per-vertex timestamps. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v11 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kentman
    kentman Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited October 2009
    Thanks to Bushman and Mike, you are a STAR!