I try to install globalmapper v11 on windows 7, and get this error message
globalmapper.png

How I solve this problem?

Thx

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2009
    This is a problem caused by a configuration problem on the system, typically either caused by a bad Windows Update (not too surprising since Windows 7 isn't released yet) or another bad software install. Here is a potential solution I found on a thread for another application with the same problem:

Hi everyone,

I _had_ the same problem, but after two days of troubleshooting and headaches, I resolved it.. here's how:

First, this may only apply to certain situations.. 1) Windows Vista Home Premium, 2) You have had one or more Windows' updates that _failed_ to install (that is, Windows' Update no longer seems to work, and/or you are unable to install other Windows files, such as the VC9 files)

The problem appears to be similar to the "pending.xml" issue, but it's in the registry instead of a flag file: one or more updates failed to install, and left the installer in a broken state.

First, fix the installer state by running the fix in this Microsoft KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414 - When I open Windows Update in Control Panel, I receive an error code of 8000FFFF.
    Second, make sure your system is up to date by running Windows' Update and installing all important and critical patches.
    Third, I manually installed the VC9 redistributable (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en - Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) (I am not sure the URL for 64-bit versions. Search Microsoft for it?) and the .NET 3.5 update (I don't have the URL handy anymore, sorry..) You may not really need to do this step, but I did not try it without.
    Finally, install OO 3.0.

Of course, this may or may not work for everyone, and I am still not entirely sure of the exact situation for which this fix applies. But the "fix" on the Microsoft website is at least smart enough not to run if the fix doesn't apply to your system (It will say so then exit.)

Good luck!
    Cas

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • cueks
    cueks Global Mapper User
    edited September 2009
    Thx, for the info
    I have try, but not working.
    It seems, I have to downgrade my OS to windows XP.
    Thx
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2009
    You may need to do a clean reinstall of Windows 7. More than likely during the beta testing for Windows 7 something was corrupted preventing the install. A fresh re-install of Windows 7 from the actual release or the latest RC should fix the configuration I think.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeard
    redbeard Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2009
    I will add GM installed fine on my Win 7 Ultimate RC x64. I'll be running Win 7 Home Premium x64 when it arrives next month.
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2009
    redbeard wrote: »
    I will add GM installed fine on my Win 7 Ultimate RC x64. I'll be running Win 7 Home Premium x64 when it arrives next month.
    Why Win 7 over Win XP? Technical or some feature?

Thanks
  • redbeard
    edited September 2009
    Well, I have XP 32 bit, but I also have a 64 bit machine, and I didn't want to encounter those memory errors I've heard about. The RC version of win 7 was free (it will expire soon enough).
    Why Win 7 over XP 64? Again, Win 7 was free. I wanted something that would be supported for many years, so I figured it was worth it. By my math it should be supported for like 8 years later than xp (is that how old XP is?). I also jumped on the promo that MS had to pre order the upgrade for something like $50, which is a decent discount. Also, Win 7 seems to be better on the security front.

And last but not least, Windows is not my primary OS.

Mike
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited September 2009
    Thanks Mike
    I also jumped on the promo that MS had to pre order the upgrade for something like $50, which is a decent discount.
    I looked at the upgrade but the full install of the qualifying XP or Vista before installing the upgrade was just too painful to consider.

Over the years I've installed my OEM copy of XP on many a clean HDD and the thought of doing that twice for every install wasn't worth saving $50+.

As always YMMV.
  • redbeard
    edited October 2009
    From what I've read/heard, you just pop in the xp disc when it asks for it, doesnt require xp to be installed, just requires an xp disc to install...if that makes sense.

I just didnt feel like spending $200 or whatever it was as I already have a full xp disc.
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited October 2009
    From what I've read/heard, you just pop in the xp disc when it asks for it, doesnt require xp to be installed, just requires an xp disc to install...if that makes sense.
    Makes a lot of sense and I hope it's true. I read/heard just as many statements saying you must install the full XP prior to upgrade and that their would be no pop in the XP disc. So FUD kept me from getting the upgrade. We'll both know for certain in a month.
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited November 2009
    So did it work as you described?

I'm assuming you've installed Win 7 by now.

Thanks
  • Matt
    Matt Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2009
    For what it's worth....I also got the $50 Win 7 upgrade. I installed it yesterday on a clean hard drive. It never even asked me to put in my XP CD, which I though was weird, but it activated without a hitch so not sure how it figured out I was upgrading. The installation instructions specifically state that if you are upgrading from XP, you have to do a clean install so I don't think it's even possible to upgrade over XP.

Also installed Global Mapper 11 without any problem. All 32 bit.

Also....for the students out there....in case you weren't aware, you can get Win 7 for $30 for limited time if you have .edu email from http://www.win741.com/

So far very happy win Win 7.

Matt