Global Mapper v25.0

Dear Global Mapper - Friends

EDGAR
EDGAR Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited October 2010 in Suggestion Box
Hi to ALL Global Mapper Users,

I've noticed, that our Forum is based on Question-Answer to/from Mike and Paul...
Could we make something from ourselves to make it more "alive" and active from our side ?
For example - could we share among our GM Community our own experience, our work examples, our files or discovered by ourselves interesting links to vector and raster datas.. ? Most of us are able to create a simple Tutorials dedicated to the particular subiect of working with GM.
We can share our interesting Screen Shots, knowledge about good WMS servers, and how to configure them, we could share our Useres' Shaders, datums, we could teach each other so many things....
Forgive me, but I feel like this, we should be much more active on the Forum and support newcommers and novices how to work with Global Mapper more efficiently..
I'm a member of ships' modellist forum too.
There - everyone is ready to share his knowledge, his experience and everyone assists to every novice ...
I believe, we could and we should do the same on Global Mapper Forum too.
More, many Forum users become real friends after meeting on Forum and exchanging their experience...
I wish that for Global Mapper Forum Users - too...

Let us try to be more creative and more active on this Forum too.

Forgive me Friends, this is what I feel reading posts on our GM Forum

If one would ask me - What did you do from yourside ...
I could say, not too much but only that...

our favorite mapping software - online gallery:
http://www.globalmapper.com/product/screenshots.htm
or here:
http://picasaweb.google.pl/e.tarando/OurFavouriteSoftwareOnlineScreenShots?feat=directlink

Sincere regards to everyone

Comments

• Frank2
    Frank2 Super Moderator
    edited September 2009
    EDGAR wrote: »
    I've noticed, that our Forum is based on Question-Answer to/from Mike and Paul...

Can we help it that Mike's always just minutes away with an answer??? ;)
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2009
    I certainly welcome as much creative content and assistance from users as possible! As Frank said I make this difficult by answering so fast most of the time. There does seem to be more user response on inquiries from Europe as it is the middle of the night in Colorado when most of those questions are posted, so users have more time to respond before I'm available.

I think user-provided tutorials, especially video tutorials like the forum already has (provided by Paul) would be fantastic!

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • EDGAR
    EDGAR Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2009
    Frank2

Dear Frank,
    Yes, that is the reason that all of us we are in "passive mode" all the time...,
    Anyway, did You noticed Paul's announce about Useres' Screen Shots, and Users' Shaders ?? NOBODY , sorry, almost nobody replayed... But WHY ?
    I'm sure, all of us we HAVE our own interesting experience with Global Mapper, all of us we are trying to adjust Shaders for our particular needs... As You noticed - there are NO examples of Shaders with RGB values - available on Internet... The only one - I gave to Paul and Mike - representing Polish SRTM Shader made by netgis...
    After long negotiations - the author accepted to publish it on Global Mapper forum and made it available for everyone... But, I'm sure - there should be much more Custom Shaders that could be published, but nobody is willing to do so...
    As well, we all need some SHP files representing bordere, rivers, lakes, roads etc. for a particular area... If WE ALL put our little "stone" into one place - we could create reasonable "mountain" of sources and knowledge on this Global Mapper Forum.
    And that is what I'm trying to suggest to all of us - users of Global Mapper soft.

Yes, I'm a novice, I'm NOT a GIS software user, like ESRI, but with the use of GM I did and verified very complex map of nearby district, and I believe - this soft has his great power and future, and apart from Mike's and Paul's answers, we should and we could change this Forum into Global Mapper Community friendship...

Forgive me for writting errors, it does not matter here, but I believe my idea is clear.

Best regards to You
  • Frank2
    Frank2 Super Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Hi EDGAR.

I agree with you, and understand. I've used GM for MANY years, but in the past I used it mostly to verify data in other programs, or to convert data. One of these days I may have more time to contribute to the community.

For free worldwide GIS data, I generally try this first:
    http://data.geocomm.com/

And this site is of general interest to this community:
    http://slashgeo.org/
  • EDGAR
    edited September 2009
    I certainly welcome as much creative content and assistance from users as possible! As Frank said I make this difficult by answering so fast most of the time. There does seem to be more user response on inquiries from Europe as it is the middle of the night in Colorado when most of those questions are posted, so users have more time to respond before I'm available.

I think user-provided tutorials, especially video tutorials like the forum already has (provided by Paul) would be fantastic!

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Mike, You are right, video tutorial are nice, but
    I've created my own paper tutorial file set - downloaded from the Internet
    as PDF files... There are not too much of them, but some are from Asia, some from US, some from Russia and Poland ...

PDF file - one can print, read and try to practice step by step...
    Therefore I would appreciate if we, GM Forum members
    start to share our PDF tutorials dedicated to particular theme...
    for example : How to adjust parameters to receive good quality 3D TOPO map over SRTM...

YouTube is OK, but PDF on hand is also good.. :))

Mike, could You tell me, is it possible to make GM capable to import Projection in DATUM.dat file ...?
    There are many [.dat] projection files available refering to former maps
    like Germans' , Polish WIG that one could rectify with Global Mapper.
    For example datum Borowa Góra - the one refering to Polish Military Geographic Institute - covering the area before II WW, and Ozi Explorer DO accepts those files to reproject maps. But Ozi does it only mathematically, and does not allow to SAVE Geo TIFF after reprojection.
    Also Polish projection Pulkovo 1942, and many others...

This should be done in same way as for Shader [crl] files - by straight importing...
    What do You think about it ?

Best regards
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2009
    Edgar,

Paper (PDF) tutorials would be great as well. Both PDF and video tutorials are most welcome and might very well end up on globalmapper.com if posted.

I took a look at your datums.dat file and it looked like some sort of datum definition file and not a full projection definition. There wouldn't be much to be done with that in Global Mapper. Most common datums are built-in (and I can add them easily if more are needed). The custom_datums.txt format is pretty simple for users wishing to share entries in that for strange datums.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • EDGAR
    edited September 2009
    Frank2 wrote: »
    Hi EDGAR.

I agree with you, and understand. I've used GM for MANY years, but in the past I used it mostly to verify data in other programs, or to convert data. One of these days I may have more time to contribute to the community.

For free worldwide GIS data, I generally try this first:
    http://data.geocomm.com/

And this site is of general interest to this community:
    http://slashgeo.org/

Frank,

And for that You are Great !!!
    Thank You,

If most of us will follow You, then our Forum would become Global Mapper Forum of Friends

Now, awaiting for NEXT one :))

And best regards to Everyone on the site
  • tjhb
    tjhb Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2009
    I like the ideas in this thread.

My ways of contributing would be, first, to post example scripts now and then—because there are not very many examples around, and although they aren't difficult there is a little bit to learn at first—and secondly, to post a workflow, if there was something tricky or non-obvious about it.
  • EDGAR
    edited September 2009
    Edgar,

Paper (PDF) tutorials would be great as well. Both PDF and video tutorials are most welcome and might very well end up on globalmapper.com if posted.

I took a look at your datums.dat file and it looked like some sort of datum definition file and not a full projection definition. There wouldn't be much to be done with that in Global Mapper. Most common datums are built-in (and I can add them easily if more are needed). The custom_datums.txt format is pretty simple for users wishing to share entries in that for strange datums.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Dear Mike,

Let me think a while...
    I will send You by tomorrow better expalnation for Borowa Gora DATUM
    PLS have a look here: www.mapywig.org/
    One can find here thousands of perfect scans of those maps for free
    I don't know any better source for those maps.
    Till 1937 - they where , let say ones of most beautifull and sopfisticated maps on the world. Most of them where in 1:100 000 scale and contains informations better that any other maps of same scale in Europe at the time.
    During II WW - Germans arrested polish WIG cartographers and forced them to "germanise" those maps
    since they were most accurete and best maps for eastern theritories...

Many people here in Europe, and not only here would like to reference those maps and save them as GeoTIFs, and not with OZI but with Global Mapper - for navigating over them and for printing with propper references.
    If You would be able to implement datum for Borowa Góra into Global Mapper it would be very useful for many users concerned with those historical maps. After II WW our borders have changed, but many people are looking for their roots, therefore those maps are very valuable for GENEALOGY purposes.

By tomorrow will send You better expalanation about Botowa Góra DATUM

Best Regards
  • EDGAR
    edited September 2009
    tjhb wrote: »
    I like the ideas in this thread.

My ways of contributing would be, first, to post example scripts now and then—because there are not very many examples around, and although they aren't difficult there is a little bit to learn at first—and secondly, to post a workflow, if there was something tricky or non-obvious about it.

You are the SECOND Great one who respodned to this thread

Thank You Friend

If You could include Your Screen Shots of Your work
    it would be great. !

Stay in contact

Regrds
  • PaulTocknell
    PaulTocknell Forum Administrator Unconfirmed
    edited September 2009
    I've been monitoring this post all night and have been really excited to get back to my computer.

I am ALL about user contributions to this site. That is whole reason that this site, globalmapperforum.com, exists. When I first started using Global Mapper I thought (like everyone else) that this is the world's best kept software secret. I also knew forums were pretty powerful and had a real ability to connect people around a common thread. This is supposed to be a neighborhood event. People are supposed to get involved. Isn't that what web 2.0 is all about?

First off, please please tell me your ideas. You let me know and I'll do my best to make it happen. If you want a feature added to the site or some functionality, I'll start making a "to do" list for Global Mapper Forum. Like EDGAR said, we can start throwing the pebbles to really turn this into a mountain of knowledge about Global Mapper.

1) Screenshots.

I know you guys are making some incredible maps using Global Mapper and I wish we could see them. So here is what I have done.

If you go to the download section you'll know see a log-in form on the right. You can use your existing forum / vbulletin registration to log into the CMS and upload a file to any section that exists. If you want a section created, let me know. I've just created a section called "screenshots" PLEASE upload your screenshots of Global Mapper. If you have any problems, let me know and I'll look into it.

2) Tutorials.

I have more bandwidth than I know what to do with so I have another offer.

Download Jing from http://www.jingproject.com/. This is a FREE screenshot / screencasting tool developed by TechSmith. If you make a tutorial, I'll send you my user account information so you can upload the file to screencast.com and also....I'll pay you $10 for every tutorial you create. Now I have a pretty limited budget so here is the fine print. I'll pay $10 per tutorial for the first 20 tutorials total. In short, I have an initial $200 budget. When the $200 is gone, so if the offer (for now).

3) Ideas.

If you have other suggestions for the site like a wiki, user blogs, etc I'll make it happen. You just tell me.

Thank-you EDGAR for helping to kickstart this discussion.

Paul
    paul@globalmapperforum.com
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2009
    Paul,

I LOVE the idea of paying users a nominal fee for their tutorials. If we get some high quality tutorials out of the initial batch of 20 I would be willing to fund further tutorials. With this sort of crowd-sourcing approach I think we could cover a lot of the major functionality of Global Mapper with tutorials.

One other thing I thought I mention while everyone is reading, the globalmapper.com servers are being upgraded this weekend so they will be down Saturday night and Sunday morning, so don't panic if you can't get to the web site or your emails aren't getting to me right away.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • redbeard
    redbeard Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2009
    I hope you get some decent tutorials 'cause I don't want to see you paying $10 for some...

But all said and done, the video tutorials are one of the first things I watched when I purchased...well before I purchased Global Mapper. Having them did influence my decision to purchase a license.

Does anyone have video tutorial suggestions that would be helpful to either new comers or old timers?
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2009
    Here are a couple of video tutorial suggestions, mainly covering new stuff from v11:

1) Exporting GeoPDF files (load files, export with margins, header, etc.)
    2) Working with map layout stuff, like north arrow, scale bar, elevation legend.
    3) Working with various Digitizer Tool options like:
    a) Cropping areas and lines against other areas
    b) Assigning attributes to areas/lines/points from other selected features.
    c) Combining area features
    4) Adding custom point symbols and scaling/rotating them
    5) Adding custom area fill styles
    6) Rectifying vector files
    7) Various sample scripts (this wouldn't be a video tutorial)

I'm sure I'll think of some others too.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • EDGAR
    edited September 2009
    Hi to ALL

first I have a word to Paul:
    it is from your post, Paul: ...I'll pay you $10 for every tutorial you create.

Sorry, but it must be a joke !
    Since your GM Technical Support in it's "TURBO mode"
    is for free - so far, how we ALL on the Forum could expect
    to earn money on sharing our screen-shots, pdf-s, and any other materials
    created just for sharing them with novices and friends
    - ALL Global Mapper happy users!?
    I'm sure, no one even thought about that...
    If I'm wrong let somone correct me please...

NEXT: Many tutorials re; Global Mapper are ready already...
    They are just hidden everywhere on the Internet resources
    and the thing is to collect them or collect the links to them
    in one place on our Forum.
    To do that I would like to invite all of us on the Forum
    and not Pauld and Mike, let us make that for them as a reward
    for everything they did for us before...

PLS have a look below...

Image Rectification (Georeferencing) using Global Mapper
    http://fatwaramdani.wordpress.com/2009/06/11/image-rectification-georeferencing-using-global-mapper/

How To Georectify Images Using Global Mapper
    http://www.evs-islands.com/2006/11/how-to-georectify-images-using-global.html

Cutting air photos with Global Mapper
    http://developer.partnersoft.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Cutting_air_photos_with_Global_Mapper

For two PDFs I can not remember it's links,
    therefore PLS find them attached.

Regards to All
  • PaulTocknell
    edited September 2009
    Edgar,

Tutorials, in particular video tutorials, do take some time to create. My goal is simply to provide a little gratitude for those users who take the time to create a tutorial and upload it. It very well may be that people aren't interested in creating tutorials at all and $10 may not be enough anyhow.

I added a log-in on the downloads page with a submit button so you can upload your custom shaders, projections, pdfs, etc.

I appreciate your posting of those articles.

Paul.
  • EDGAR
    edited September 2009
    Dear Paul,

Sorry, but negative...

Since I've started my private "adventure" with so called myGIS
    ALL and EVERYTHING I've learnt from the Internet
    sities, blogs, and many other forums
    where people are glad and even proud to have chance to share
    their experience to others, and not for money,
    because if we stop doing so, entire population would degrade one day
    and knowledge would become hermethic, available only to particular groups
    of professionalists.
    Till now, I've never heard on any Forum that people would expect
    earning on sharing their news with others among same forum group
    of friends, hobbysts, etc...

PLS open the link : www.mapywig.org
    You can make it public. This site is run by my friend.
    One can find there tonns of good scans of historic topo maps.
    This site is open to everyone, and everyone can download whatever
    he wants, no login, no password, no charge, no limits...

One can find many similar sites like that one.
    Just try another one: http://www.evs-islands.com
    or http://www.geographx.co.nz/downloads.html

Therefore we should make it clear
    all members of the Forum are group of friends,
    widely spreaded around the world, but connected in same
    fascination - learning GM and sharing our private discoveries...

And last thing. I subscribe the Map Window and QGIS mailing Lists...
    Everyday, and every time comes new message from users and creators...

I wish the same to Global Mapper Forum

Best to you ALL who read that.
  • PaulTocknell
    edited September 2009
    Till now, I've never heard on any Forum that people would expect
    earning on sharing their news with others among same forum group
    of friends, hobbysts, etc...

My offer for tutorials is in no way intended to disrupt the giving and generous nature of GIS and mapping sites on the net. My intention is merely a sincere attempt to say "thank-you" for those users who would take time out of their busy schedules to make a tutorial for Global Mapper. This site has been around for a while and not many users have volunteered this kind of contribution yet.

Like I said, if you have ideas for making this more of a community site, please speak up.
  • EDGAR
    edited September 2009
    Frank2 wrote: »
    Hi EDGAR.

I've used GM for MANY years, but in the past I used it mostly to verify data in other programs, or to convert data.

Hi Frank,

Could You be so kind and axplain me something regarding Global Mapper.
    I use GM for verifying topo maps (abut 10 y/old) with present topo situation.
    I do my trails using callibrated/georeferenced topo maps and GPS.

Returning from excursion I got my trail path and several waypoints.

1. Topo map is in scale of 1:50 000
    2. Over it I draw - but in Corel DRAW my own map let say in scale 1:80 000
    3. I need to export my trail as an vector (DXF file) and import it into Corel, which is in no means georeference oriented, but quite good drawing tool.
    4. I would like to figure out IN WHAT SCALE does Global Mapper EXPORTING such vectors ?
    This I would like to know EXACTLY in order to re-scale the vector, so it should match perfectly the scale (ex. 1:80 000) that I need for drawing.

5. Recently, I've discovered excellend function of Global Mapper to "PRINT into FILE" in a given scale... I can do that as a TIF file, but not for vector.

Do You have any idea how to handle with that .

The point is:
    a) in Corel DRAW on lowest layer I've placed my first (cler) TIF scaled to the given scale (80 000), but all collected trails in vector (DXF) files I would like to place always on top - adding new ones till I'll redraw entire map. But I can not figure-out in what scale they come from export from Global Mapper...

Do you know what I mean ?

Best regards

But
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2009
    Edgar,

For vector maps there really isn't an export scale as the full resolution coordinates of every vertex of every feature is written out, so it is scale-independent. The coordinates written will have whatever units are set on the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog, so if you are using a projection with meters units your coordinates will be in meters, etc.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • EDGAR
    edited September 2009
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for your ans.
    Yes, I've expressed my question in wrong way, by mistake,
    but awaited for Frank2's answer..

For GIS purposes and GIS software - Global Mapper exports vectors in 1:1 scale..
    This is clear to me.
    The question should sounds different...
    - Since I'm drawing maps for printing with use of Corel DRAW I'm looking for
    a smart solution - on HOW to predict or calculate the final scale in which
    Corel will OPEN a DXF vectors just created with Global Mapper
    during the trail...

Every day I got some new trail-patches with dozen of waypoints,
    and I would like to place them (as good as possible) over the raster exported from GM firstly as my base map.
    Till now I'm doing that every time by exporting vectors along with lat/lon grid, and then i have to manualy adjust that grid and vectors "glued to it" to the grid visible over the raster, which is not too smart way .

If I know the equation for rescaling the vector just opened with Corel, that it could be done by simple percentage re-scaling...

I believe You could understand what I mean.

Regards to You Mike, and thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2009
    Edgar,

Sorry, I'm really not sure what Corel is doing if it's not using the actual coordinates from the DXF file. I'm sure there is some formula that would linearly convert from the 1:1 scale that Global Mapper exports at to whatever Corel is using, probably just a linear scaling factor against your raster scale. So once you figure out the scale for one scale you should be able to calculate the scale number and use it for other files. You probably also have to offset the top left or bottom right to be at (0,0). In general working with mapping data in non-mapping application is not much fun!

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • EDGAR
    edited September 2009
    Edgar,

Sorry, I'm really not sure what Corel is doing if it's not using the actual coordinates from the DXF file. I'm sure there is some formula that would linearly convert from the 1:1 scale that Global Mapper exports at to whatever Corel is using, probably just a linear scaling factor against your raster scale. So once you figure out the scale for one scale you should be able to calculate the scale number and use it for other files. You probably also have to offset the top left or bottom right to be at (0,0). In general working with mapping data in non-mapping application is not much fun!

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Hi Mike,

You are wright, I have to find a proper formula for recalculation once for all... I've believed - somebody on the Forum just did it and we could compare our figures. But no problem.
    The perfect thing in Global Mapper is that it exports - by means of "Print to file TIF" entire raster with grids in a given scale. That would be my base.

Re. Corel - as with everything - therefore we got fork-spoon and knife, even with fingers we can eat too...:))

However, Global Mapper is my finese spatial tool, that Corel never had, but Corel gave me good flexibility for handling very quick with all sorts of lines, different elements, multiple fonts and effects, like shadows, fills, and it imports rasters, vectors and text frames. Also, it generates very good pdfs, Post Script - so, my maps could be soft and nice looking, what is important for customers, and me too. With great ability of Global Mapper plus drawing flexibility of Corel plus GPS device connected to Global Mapper - now I don't need enything else to reach expected and good effect when mapping. Yes, Corel is not georeferencing software but together with Global Mapper it almost is...

PLS note, after creating a map with Corel, I export it into TIF, and after georeferencing it with Global Mapper - we get again - NEW, UPDATED map for navigation with GM, and one can export it into KMZ for example - to share with others via Google Maps. That is quite fun :))

Best tu You Mike
  • EDGAR
    edited September 2009
    Hi Mike,

Just, when typing to You "discovered" very fancy way to handle with vectors created with Global Mapper...

Since GM exports well scaled raster and grids, why not to export it along with all newly created trail-patches and waypoints...?

If so, it would be only the matter of "replacement" of my former background raster used with Corel by the new one with all visible patches and waypoints.
    In that way, I don't need to calibrate or rescale any vector anymore,
    since it would be visible ontop of new raster and I will simple redraw it with Corel.
    +
    Thanks so much for the moment of conversation...
    Good friend is always welcome around us to make us thinking clear..
    :))
    Many thanks
  • Frank2
    Frank2 Super Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Yes, I've expressed my question in wrong way, by mistake,
    but awaited for Frank2's answer..

Sorry - I generally only look at the Latest Posts when I scan this site, and I missed your question.

One thing you could possibly do is create corner markers for the Topo in GM. You could just create a simple ASCII text file for each point and import those. Then when you export your vectors, and import them into DRAW, you would just have to measure the distance between the markers and scale that layer to match the Topo layer.
  • EDGAR
    edited September 2009
    Hi Frank,

Thanks, You are right ! :))
    I've thought about it - to create constant frame or 8 control points
    at intersections of some lat/lon grid lines, than on import to DRAW
    adjust its' position to match the same points over raster in DRAW.

Yes, it is I believe, one of the best solution to deal with that.
    Than I should measure the re-scaling (%) factor and if it appers to be constant I could use it for all other and following vectors.

Best to You :))
  • EDGAR
    edited September 2009
    Frank,

I've uploaded on Paul's Forum Download/Upload page
    the first and so far only available Custom Shader with RGB values.
    It was made particulary for the areas similar to Poland - mostly flat, but with mountains upto 2600m. I've found it interesting, so feel free to download and use for your enjoy.

Best regards
  • Frank2
    Frank2 Super Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Great, thanks!
  • EDGAR
    edited September 2009
    Hi Frank,

Nice to hear that :))

If "one day" You will find any other shader with RGB values,
    PLS let me know, I love experimenting ..

Best to You
  • Frank2
    Frank2 Super Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Well, look to this page for some great experimentation advice :)

http://www.shadedrelief.com/